Performance Comparison of Battery Chargers Based on SiC-MOSFET and Si-IGBT for Railway Vehicles
New type semiconductors, for instance, SiC-based switching devices, have many performance advantages over Si-based devices, including faster switching and lower power dissipation. In this paper, a research of an application of SiC-based MOSFET in a battery charger for railway vehicles is introduced, focusing on the performances of the charger. This battery charger is designed based on a silicon-IGBT-based charger. The new SiC-based battery charger has the same input and output rating with the original charger, but there’s an increase of switching frequency from 15 to 50 kHz. Therefore, a comparison between the two chargers from the aspects of efficiency, volume and power density is provided in this paper. It can provide some technical support for the design and application of high-power-density battery chargers in the auxiliary power system of railway vehicles.
KeywordsSiC Auxiliary power system Battery charger Performance comparison
This work was supported by the China National Science and Technology Support Program under Grant 2016YFB1200504-C-01, Beijing Science and Technology Major Project under Grant Z171100002117011.
- 1.Li W, Ping Z (2014) Application of new type wide-bandgap SiC power devices in power electronic. J Nanjing Univ Aeronaut Astronaut 04:524–532 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.Tiwari S, Midtgård OM, Undeland TM (2016) Comparative evaluation of a commercially available 1.2 kV SiC MOSFET module and a 1.2 kV Si IGBT module. In: Industrial electronics society, IECON 2016-42nd annual conference of the IEEE, 1093–1098Google Scholar
- 4.Haijie J (2015) Research and design of lithium battery charger for hybrid EMU. Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 5.Shuai Z, Xiaoyong Z, Fangjun H, Wei X, Qing Z (2014) Design of a EMU battery charger. High Power Converter Technol (01):13–16+31. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Van den Bossche A, Stoyanov R, Dukov N, et al (2016) Analytical simulation and experimental comparison of the losses in resonant DC/DC converter with Si and SiC switches. In: Power electronics and motion control conference (PEMC), IEEE international. 934–939Google Scholar
- 7.Calderon-Lopez G, Forsyth AJ (2014) High power density DC-DC converter with SiC MOSFETs for electric vehicles. In: IET international conference on power electronics, machines and drives. IET, 1–6Google Scholar