Cooperative Control of Voltage Equalization for Multiple Supercapacitors
In this paper, a cooperative voltage equalizer is proposed such that the voltages of supercapacitors in the power source achieve consensus. Voltage equalization for supercapacitors in the power source is a crucial issue since unbalanced voltage states would result in inefficiency and acceleration of lifetime decay. As multiple supercapacitors are connected in certain form, the power source can be modeled as a networked system. In this view, voltage equalization problem can be formulated as a consensus problem of multi-agent system. Combining cooperative control theory and Lyapunov method, a distributed controller is designed for each supercapacitor to drive its voltage synchronized to its neighbors in the network. It is proved that under the topology condition that the graph is connected, all voltages of supercapacitors can achieve consensus, i.e., voltage equalization of the power source is achieved. Simulation result has been presented to verify the effectiveness of the proposed controller.
KeywordsSupercapacitor Voltage equalization Consensus Cooperative control
- 4.Satou D, Hoshi N, Haruna J (2014) Characteristics of cell voltage equalization circuit using LC series circuit in charging and discharging states. In: Industrial electronics society, IECON 2013—Conference of the IEEE, IEEE, pp 514–519Google Scholar
- 5.Liu J, Huang Z, Peng J et al (2015) Distributed cooperative voltage equalization for series-connected super-capacitors. In: American control conference, IEEE, pp 4523–4528Google Scholar
- 6.Wei T, Jia D (2014) Characteristics and design method of supercapacitor modules with voltage equalization circuit. In: IEEE, conference on industrial electronics and applications, IEEE, pp 6–11Google Scholar
- 8.Hussain A, Lee H, Sul SK (2013) Forward fly-back voltage balancing circuit for series connected super capacitors using digital control. In: International conference on renewable energy research and applications, IEEE, pp 377–382Google Scholar
- 10.Shamma J (2007) Cooperative control of distributed multi-agent system. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar