Fixed Charge Bulk Transportation Problem
This paper discusses an exact method to solve fixed charge bulk transportation problem (FCBTP). The fixed charge bulk transportation problem is a variant of the classical transportation problem in which a fixed cost is incurred in addition to the bulk transportation cost. This paper comprises of two sections. In Sect. 2, an algorithm based on lexi-search approach is proposed to solve FCBTP which gives the optimal solution in a finite number of iterations. Section 3 reports and corrects the errors which occurred in the paper entitled ‘Solving the fixed charge problem by ranking the extreme point’ by Murty (Oper. Res. 16(2): 268–279, 1968) . Towards the end, some Concluding Remarks are given.
KeywordsFixed charge bulk transportation problem (FCBTP) Bulk transportation problem (BTP) Lexi-search
The authors are thankful to the honourable reviewers for their significant comments which have enhanced the quality of our manuscript ‘Fixed Charge Bulk Transportation Problem’ to a great extent.
- 6.Arora, S.R., Ahuja, A.: A Paradox in a fixed charge transportation problem. Indian J. Pure Appl. Math. 31(7), 809–822 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Cooper, L., Drebes, C.: An approximate solution method for the fixed charge problem. Nav. Res. Logist. Q. 14(1) (1967)Google Scholar
- 13.Cooper, L., Olson, A.M.: Random Perturbations and MI-MII Heuristics for the Fixed Charge ProblemGoogle Scholar
- 15.Denzler, D.R.: An approximative algorithm for the fixed charge problem. Nav. Res. Logist. Q. 16(3) (1969)Google Scholar
- 28.Sadagopan, S., Ravindran, A.: A vertex ranking algorithm for the fixed-charge transportation problem. J. Optim. Theory Appl. 37(2) (1982)Google Scholar
- 30.Steinberg, D.I.: The fixed charge problem. Nav. Res. Logist. Q. 17(2) (1970)Google Scholar
- 31.Thirwani, D.: A note on fixed charge Bi-Criterion transportation problem with enhanced flow. Indian J. Pure Appl. Math. 29(5), 565–571 (1998)Google Scholar
- 33.Warren, M.H, George, B.D.: The fixed charge problem. RAND Corp. RM-1383, 413–424 (1954)Google Scholar
- 34.Warren, M.H., Hoffman, A.J.: Extreme varieties, concave functions, and the fixed charge problem. Commun. Pure Appl. Math. XIV, 355–369(1961)Google Scholar