Chiaroscuro of the Uncanny: An Unknown Side of Old Master Q
Wong Chak’s Old Master Q, a superlatively well-known and popular Hong Kong comic series, is commonly seen as a hilarious comedy. Through analyzing hitherto neglected narratival modalities (i.e., the “funny uncanny,” “horror uncanny,” and “as-is uncanny”) whereby Wong plays with disturbing elements, the chapter argues that Old Master Q is actually more variegated and sophisticated. Ng and Wee draw a connection to the age-old supernaturalistic worldview of the Chinese, modern Hong Kongers’ immersion in the paranormal, as well as Western visions of dark cosmic Otherness as expressed by H. P. Lovecraft, Eugene Thacker, and others. Wong Chak is thereby shown to be an artistic master of the uncanny who transcends the bi-cultural tension inherent in a Hong Kong modernizing between the East and the post-Enlightenment West.
KeywordsOld Master Q Wong Chak Alfonso Wong Hong Kong comics The uncanny
- Barthes, Roland. Writing Degree Zero. Translated by Annette Lavers and Colin Smith. London: Jonathan Cape, 1967.Google Scholar
- Bosco, Joseph. “Young People’s Ghost Stories in Hong Kong.” Journal of Popular Culture 40.5 (2007): 785–807.Google Scholar
- Briggs, K. M. The Fairies in Tradition and Literature. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1967.Google Scholar
- Chang Meng-jui. “Liangdai Laofuzi chuanqi” [Old Master Q: Two Generations]. Translated by Chris Nelson. Taiwan Panorama 34.8 (August 2009): 69–75.Google Scholar
- Chen Jin. “Zai ‘Bupagui’ de beihou—Mao Zedong zhidao bianxuan ‘Bupagui de gushi’ de qianqian houhou” [Behind “not fearing ghosts” — The sequence of events surrounding Mao Zedong’s direction of the compilation of Stories of [People Who] Do Not Fear Ghosts]. Dang de wenxian 3 (1993): 67–74.Google Scholar
- Chen Yuxin. “Laofuzi manhua chuanren Xiao Wang Ze: Laofuzi ye ke mairu xin shidai” [Wong Chak Jr., successor for the comic Old Master Q: Old Master Q can also enter a new age]. Lianhe Zaobao (Singapore), November 24, 2015.Google Scholar
- Chow, Jason. “Sotheby’s Hong Kong Celebrates ‘Old Master Q’.” Wall Street Journal, August 14, 2014. Accessed on March 11, 2015. http://www.wsj.com/articles/sothebys-hong-kong-celebrates-old-master-q-1407989559.
- Federal News Service Inc. “DoD News Briefing—Secretary Rumsfeld and Gen. Myers” (February 12, 2002), transcript archived at the U.S. Department of Defense’s official website. Accessed on April 1, 2017. http://archive.defense.gov/Transcripts/Transcript.asp x?TranscriptID=2636.
- Feng Jicai, ed. Wenhua fajue Laofuzi chutu [A cultural excavation Laofuzi unearthed]. Beijing: Xiyuan chubanshe, 2001.Google Scholar
- Freud, Sigmund. “The Uncanny” (1919). The Uncanny. Translated by David McLintock. London: Penguin, 2003, 121–62.Google Scholar
- Groot, J. J. M. de. The Religion of the Chinese. New York: Macmillan Company, 1912.Google Scholar
- i-CABLE Communications Limited. Main webpage for Guaitan [The Unbelievable]. Accessed on March 29, 2017. http://ent.i-cable.com/program/unbelievable/index.php.
- Jian Yifeng. “Laofuzi shougao nande liangxiang” [A rare appearance of original Old Master Q drawings]. Ming Pao (Hong Kong), July 26, 2014, D4.Google Scholar
- Joshi, S. T. The Weird Tale: Arthur Machen/Lord Dunsany/Algernon Blackwood/M. R. James/Ambrose Bierce/H. P. Lovecraft. Austin: Texas UP, 1990.Google Scholar
- Kao, Ernest. “Life in six panels: Old Master Q creator Alfonso Wong dies at 93.” South China Morning Post (Hong Kong), January 3, 2017, Hong Kong edition. Updated on January 4, 2017. Accessed on March 30, 2017. http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/education-community/article/2059012/life-six-panels-old-master-q-creator-alfonso-wong?edition=hong-kong.
- Lang Tian [Shum Longtin]. “Laofuzi de xushi zhuanhuan” [Old Master Q’s switching between virtuality and substantiality]. Laofuzi manhua yanjiu jihua [Research Project of Old Master Q]. Edited by Grace Cheng. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Arts Center, 2003, 49–50.Google Scholar
- Leung, Ann Y. Y. “Transformation from Comic to 2D, Then the 3D Approach: Character Representation of Old Master Q.” Asian Cinema 18.1 (Spring/Summer 2007): 160–69.Google Scholar
- Lu, Hsiu-Man. “Zhongguo biji xiaoshuo suo jizai zhi ‘bisha’ xisu ji ‘shashen’ xingxiang tantao” [The Custom of Avoiding Evil Spirits and the Image of Evil in Chinese Tales]. Shida xuebao: Yuyan yu wenxue lei 57.1 (March 2012): 23–54.Google Scholar
- Lu Ziying (Lo Che-ying). “Zhongxin xiang Wang Ze zhixie” [Giving heartfelt thanks to Wong Chak]. “Ming Yue,” supplement, Ming Pao Monthly (April 2017): 17–21.Google Scholar
- Ma Long (Ma Lung). “Ni de, wo de, ta de Laofuzi” [Old Master Q that is yours, mine and his]. “Ming Yue,” supplement, Ming Pao Monthly (April 2017): 11–16.Google Scholar
- Mair, Victor H., trans. Wandering on the Way: Early Taoist Tales and Parables of Chuang Tzu. Honolulu: Hawai’i UP, 1998.Google Scholar
- MCIL Multimedia Sdn Bhd. “Xianggang. Sufubi quanqiu shoupai. Laofuzi yuangao 13 wan chengjiao” [Sotheby’s Hong Kong’s globally unprecedented auction. Original Old Master Q drawings sold at 130,000 ringgit]. Sinchew.com.my. April 11, 2008. Accessed on March 29, 2017. http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/535597.
- Onions, Oliver. “The Woman in the Way” (1924). The Dead of Night—The Ghost Stories of Oliver Onions. Ware, Hertfordshire: Wordsworth Editions, 2010, 545–61.Google Scholar
- Otto, Rudolf. The Idea of the Holy: An Inquiry into the Non-Rational Factor in the Idea of the Divine and its Relation to the Rational. 2nd ed. Translated by John W. Harvey. London: Oxford UP, 1950.Google Scholar
- Poo, Mu-chou. “Images and Ritual Treatment of Dangerous Spirits.” Early Chinese Religion. Part 2, The Period of Division (220–589 AD). Edited by John Lagerwey and Lü Pengzhi. Leiden: Brill, 2010, 2:1075–94.Google Scholar
- Rucker, Rudy. Infinity and the Mind: The Science and Philosophy of the Infinite. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1995.Google Scholar
- Shiratori, Chikao, ed. Secret Comics Japan: Underground Comics Now. San Francisco: Cadence Books, 2000.Google Scholar
- Ter Haar, Barend J. “China’s Inner Demons: The Political Impact of the Demonological Paradigm.” China’s Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution: Master Narratives and Post-Mao Counternarratives. Edited by Woei Lien Chong. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2002, 27–68.Google Scholar
- Thacker, Eugene. In the Dust of This Planet. Winchester: Zero Books, 2011.Google Scholar
- ———. “Occultural Studies 3.0: Devil’s Switchboard.” May 26, 2011. Occultural Studies Column, Mute magazine website. Accessed on March 29, 2014. http://www.metamute.org/editorial/occultural-studies-column/occultural-studies-3.0-devils-switchboard.
- “Wang Ze AND Laofuzi dashi nianbiao” [A chronology of major events pertaining to Wong Chak AND Old Master Q]. Laofuzi manhua yanjiu jihua [Research Project of Old Master Q]. Edited by Grace Cheng. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Arts Center, 2003, 96–97.Google Scholar
- Wong Chak [Alfonso Wong/Joseph Wong]. Laofuzi jingxuan xilie [Old Master Q selections series]. 134 vols. Hong Kong: Ng Hing Kee, 2004–2010.Google Scholar
- ———. [Joseph Wong]. “Huiyi fuqin chuangzuo Laofuzi si yuan you jin” [Recollections of my father working on Old Master Q, seemingly distant yet close]. “Ming Yue,” supplement, Ming Pao Monthly (April 2017): 4–8.Google Scholar
- Wong, Wendy Siuyi. Hong Kong Comics: A History of Manhua. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2002.Google Scholar
- Yeung, Wai Pong. “The Enduring Charm of a Timeless Classic—Exhibition of Old Master Q Original Sketches.” August 1, 2014. Accessed on March 12, 2015. http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2014/old-master-q-original-works-alphonso-wong-hk0513/exhibition-old-master-q/2014/08/enduring-charm-timeless-classic.html.
- ———. “Huan Peng Di yi ge gongdao, ye huan Wang Ze yi ge gongdao” [To be fair to Peng Di, and also to Wong Chak]. “Ming Yue,” supplement, Ming Pao Monthly (April 2017): 22–25.Google Scholar
- “Yinyan” [Introduction] (to Chapter 5, “Kongbupian: dushi mengyan” [Horror movies: Urban nightmares]). Disan leixing dianying [The Alternative Cult Films]. Edited by Wu Hao (Ng Ho). Hong Kong: Joint Publishing (H.K.), 2005, 173–74.Google Scholar
- “Yuji shentan Zhang Guorong zisha yuanyin” [Entertainment reporter delves into the reason Leslie Cheung killed himself], YouTube video, 17:23. Primary source unspecified. Posted by “Zuixin bagua,” March 26, 2017. Accessed on March 30, 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-MMnkKtIw.
- Zheng Jiazhen (Cheng Kar-chun). Xianggang manhua chunqiu [A history of Hong Kong comics]. Hong Kong: Joint Publishing (H.K.), 1992.Google Scholar
- Zheng Zhengheng (Cheng Ching-hang). “Xianggang wenhua shiye zhong de Laofuzi” [Old Master Q in Hong Kong’s cultural view]. “Ming Yue,” supplement, Ming Pao Monthly (April 2017): 26–32.Google Scholar