Methanol Intoxication with Bilateral Acute Visual Loss
An 86-year-old male visited our emergency room because of a sudden visual loss in both eyes noted that morning. He had been drinking alcoholic beverages with his friends 2 days prior to admission. According to the patient, there were four different brands of alcoholic beverages consumed—one bought at the grocery store and three provided by friends. The patient noticed bilateral visual loss upon awakening and was brought to the emergency room by his family. He reported a past medical history of hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and coronary artery disease with congestive heart failure.
- 11.Hsieh FY, Leu TM, Chia LG. Bilateral putaminal necrosis caused by methanol poisoning: a case report. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi (Taipei). 1992;49:283–8.Google Scholar
- 18.Ahsan H, Akbar M, Hameed A. Diffusion weighted image (DWI) findings in methanol intoxication. J Pak Med Assoc. 2009;59:322–3.Google Scholar