Prototype Implementation of Site Visibility Framework Employing IO Visor-Based Packet Tracing
With the growing popularity of cloud-leveraged infrastructures and services, the clustered operation of multiple physical and virtualized boxes is rapidly increasing in a single site. It is however very hard to monitor and control the targeted site for security management when there exist a number of inter-connected boxes. To address this issue, in this paper, we utilize IO Visor-based packet tracing to inspect and collect the packets from multiple boxes in the site. Also, we introduce the concept of Site Visibility Framework by leveraging IO Visor-based packet tracing, which supports packet-level monitoring for security management of inter-connected boxes in the site.
KeywordsOpen-source IO Visor project extended Berkeley Packet Filter (eBPF) Packet tracing Site guard post Site visibility framework
This work was supported by Institute for Information & Communications Technology Promotion (IITP) grants funded by the Korea government (MSIT) (No. 2015-0-00575, Global SDN/NFV Open-Source Software Core Module/Function Development) and (No. 2017-0-00368, Hyper-Fast & Visible Data Transport with Software/Hardware Co-design based on Open-Source IO Visor Inter-connect).
- 1.Nam, T., Lee, J., Kim, J.: Packet tracing based on IO visor for SmartX box internal networking. In: Korea Computer Congress, Jeju, pp. 801–803 (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Risdianto, A.C., Shin, J., Kim, J.: Building and operating distributed SDN-cloud testbed with hyper-convergent SmartX boxes. In: International Conference on Cloud Computing, pp. 224–233. Springer (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Lee, J., Nam, T., Risdianto, A.C., Kim, J.: IO Visor-based packet tracing and collection over distributed SmartX server-switch boxes. In: The 19th Asia-Pacific Network Operations and Management Symposium, Seoul (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.IO Visor Project, IO Visor: Programmable and Flexible Data Plane for Datacenters, IO Visor White Paper (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Starovoitov, A.: BPF in LLVM and kernel. In: Linux Plumbers Conference (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Zannoni, E.: New and Exciting Developments in Linux Tracing, LinuxCon (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Bootstrap: Open Source Toolkit for Developing with HTML, CSS, and JS. http://getbootstrap.com
- 8.Jenkins: Open Source Automation Server. https://jenkins.io
- 9.Sentry: Open Source Error Tracking and Exception Handling. https://sentry.io