The Congestion Control Model for Unmanned Aircraft System Traffic Management
With the rapid development of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), they have been used in various fields such as logistics systems, agriculture system, and etc. As the consumption of UAV increases, unmanned aircraft traffic management (UTM) system has become necessary. For now, there are few studies on the UTM system for small UAVs. In this paper, we suggest congestion control model in air space by using GPS in real time. We consider the congestion in two ways such as density and traffic jam. When a UAV enters at the range of GCS, GCS figures out whether it is authorized or not. After then, GCS receives the GPS data from each UAVs. With GPS data, GCS calculates density and shows the current situation of density. In order to calculate speed and direction, we use the GPS tracking data. Depending on these data, we can predict the traffic jam. Our proposed method can help to improve navigation system of UAV and to establish UTM system.
KeywordsUnmanned aircraft system (UAS) Unmanned aircraft vehicle (UAV) Unmanned aircraft system traffic management (UTM) Congestion control
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP) (No. 2015R1C1A1A01052491, NRF-2017R1D1A3B03032637).
- 1.FAA: FAA Aerospace Forecast 2016–2036. Federal Aviation Administration (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Amazon: Amazon prime air. http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8037720011
- 3.Drone Traffic Management in Europe. http://dronealliance.eu/
- 4.NASA UTM. https://utm.arc.nasa.gov/
- 5.Kopardekar, P., Rios, J., Prevot, T., Johnson, M., Jung, J., Robinson, J.: Unmanned aircraft system traffic management (UTM) concept of operations. In: AIAA Aviation Forum, June 2016Google Scholar
- 6.NASA: UTM: air traffic management for low-altitude drones (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Amazon Prime Air: Revising the airspace model for the safe integration of small unmanned aircraft systems. NASA (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Amazon Prime Air: Determining safe access with a best-equipped, best-served model for small unmanned aircraft systems. NASA (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Google, Inc.: Google UAS airspace system overview. NASA (2015)Google Scholar