Multi-scale Surface Curvature Based on Mesh Simplification
The surface curvature of the polygonal model represents a local shape feature of polygonal surface around one surface point. It has been used to analyze the shape of mesh model. In this paper, we present a novel approximation method of multi-scale surface curvature based on mesh simplification, which computes the Gaussian-weighted average of the mean curvature in different sized neighbor regions at a point while changing the resolution of the polygonal mesh. The proposed method was tested on different polygonal models and the experimental results showed that the overall shape features of the polygonal models were represented more clearly by our method.
KeywordsSurface curvature Mesh simplification Multi-scale curvature Shape analysis
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education (NRF-2017R1D1A1B03035718).
- 1.Kazmi, I.K., You, L., Zhang, J.J.: A survey of 2D and 3D shape descriptors. In: 10th International Conference on Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization, pp. 1–10 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, L., Fonseca, M.J., Ferreira, A.: Survey on 3D shape descriptors, Technical Report, DecorAR (FCT POSC/EIA/59938/2004), Fundação para a Cincia e a Tecnologia, Lisboa, Portugal (2007) Google Scholar
- 7.Taubin, G.: Estimating the tensor of curvature of a surface from a polyhedral approximation. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 902–907 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, Y., Wang, Y., Lin, Y., Li, L., Qi, C.: Half edge collapse mesh simplification algorithm based on constrained quadric error metric method (MECMSA-CQEM) for model simplification. In: 5th International Conference on Intelligent Networks and Intelligent Systems, pp. 1–4 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Yirci, M.: A comparative study on polygonal mesh simplification algorithms. Thesis of the Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences of Middle East Technical University (2008)Google Scholar