Design and Implementation of a Wearable Device for the Blind by Using Deep Learning Based Object Recognition
Recently, deep learning based object recognition systems are very widely used in various fields, including surveillance systems. The accuracy of object recognition based on deep learning is better than other schemes. In this paper, we propose a wearable device for the blind by using deep learning based object recognition. Based on the implemented prototype and evaluation results, we confirmed the usefulness and effectiveness of the proposed wearable device.
KeywordsWearable device Deep learning Object recognition
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF) grant funded by the Korea government(MSIP; Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning) (No. 2017R1C1B5017476) and by Institute for Information &communications Technology Promotion(IITP) grant funded by the Korea government(MSIT)(2017-0-00255, Autonomous digital companion framework and application). The corresponding author is Jeong-Dong Kim.
- 2.Choi, S.D., Kim, H.J., Jang, Y.S., Kim, T.H., Heo, J.: An enhanced deep learning network for image-based object recognition. J. Korea Inf. Comm. Soc., 476–477 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Krizhevsky, A., Sutskever, I., Hinton, G.E.: Imagenet classification with deep convolutional neural networks. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 1097–1105 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Kang, C.S., Jo, H.S., Kim, B.H.: A machine-to-machine based intelligent walking assistance system for visually impaired person. J. Korean Inst. Commun. Inf. Sci. 36(3B), 287–296 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, J.H., Lim, S.H., Lee, E.S., Shin, B.S.: An outdoor navigation system for the visually impaired persons incorporating GPS and ultrasonic sensors. J. KIISE Softw. Appl. 36(6), 462–470 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, L.H., Park, S.H., Lee, S.Y., Cho, H.C., Ha, S.D.: Improvement of an electronic aid for the blind using ultrasonic and acceleration sensors. J. KIISE Softw. Appl. 36(4), 291–297 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Abadi, M., Barham, P., Chen, J., Chen, Z., Davis, A., Dean, J., Kudlur, M.: TensorFlow: a system for large-scale machine learning. OSDI 16, 265–283 (2016)Google Scholar