Gesture-Based User Interface Design for UAV Controls
Recently, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) are being used to prevent or cope with disasters such as fire. When a disaster occurs, the photographs of the disaster site can be captured with an UAV to identify the disaster site. However, in order for UAVs to perform such roles as delivery of relief goods to the disaster site as well as taking photographs of the site simultaneously, multi-functional control methods are required. This paper proposes a method of controlling multiple functions provided by the UAV according to the user’s gestures through a gesture-based user interface. In the experiment, the control signals of UAV were generated by recognizing the user’s gestures using the HTC VIVE, which is one of haptic devices.
KeywordsUnmanned aerial vehicle Human-robot interface Haptic device HTC VIVE
This research was supported by the Dongil Culture and Scholarship Foundation of 2017.
- 1.Fahlstrom, P.G., Gleason, T.J.: Introduction to UAV Systems, Fourth Edition, Wiley (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Santana, L.V., Brandão, A.S., Sarcinelli-Filho, M.: Outdoor waypoint navigation with the AR.Drone quadrotor. In: 2015 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, (ICUAS), Colorado, USA, pp. 303–311 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Santana, L.V., Brandão, A.S., Sarcinelli-Filho, M.: An automatic flight control system for the AR.Drone quadrotor in outdoor environments. In: 2015 Workshop on Research, Education and Development of Unmanned Aerial Systems (RED-UAS), Cancun, Mexico, pp. 401–410 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, D., Kim, H., Sung, Y.: Motion recognition sensor-based UAV control signal generation method. In: The 2016 Spring Conference of Korea Information Processing Society, Seoul, Republic of Korea, pp. 682–685 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, H., Kim, D., Sung, Y.: A study on UAV control system using Myos. In: The 2016 Spring Conference of Korea Information Processing Society Seoul, Republic of Korea, pp. 663–666 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.HTC VIVE. https://www.vive.com/kr/