The Study on Data of Smart Home System as Digital Evidence
The Internet of Things (IoT) presents many possibilities, including security and privacy issues. The Digital Forensics has long been studied in academia and industry, but forensics for smart home device has never been attempted. Smart home forensics deals with tools and techniques for recovering data and evidence from mobile devices. This paper describes a data acquisition, classification and analysis process of smart home devices using the IoT. It also includes analysis based on attack scenarios of collected data and smart home device forensic models suitable for such scenarios.
KeywordsSmart home Digital forensics Digital evidence Security Privacy
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP) (No. 2016R1A2B4011069).
- 2.Jing, Q., Vasilakos, A.V., Wan, J.: Security of the Internet of Things: perspectives and challenges. Wirel. Netw. vol. 20, pp. 2481–2501 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Perumal, S., Norwawi, N.M., Raman, V.: Internet of Things (IoT) digital forensic investigation model: Top-down forensic approach methodology. In: 2015 Fifth International Conference on Digital Information Processing and Communications (ICDIPC). IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Hegarty, R.C., Lamb, D.J., Attwood, A.: Digital evidence challenges in the Internet of Things. In: WDFIA (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Oriwoh, E., Jazani, D., Epiphaniou, G., Sant, P.: Internet of Things forensics: challenges and approaches. In: CollaborateCom (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Rahman, K.M.S, Bishop, M., Holt, A.: Internet of Things mobility forensics. Researchgate.net (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Valera, A.J.J., Zamora, M.A., Skarmeta, A.F.G.: An architecture based on internet of things to support mobility and security in medical environments. In: 2010 IEEE 7th Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC). IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Zorzi, M., et al.: From today’s intranet of things to a future internet of things: a wireless-and mobility-related view. IEEE Wirel. Commun. 17(6) (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Hossain, M.M., Fotouhi, M., Hasan, R.: Towards an analysis of security issues, challenges, and open problems in the internet of things. In: 2015 IEEE World Congress on Services (SERVICES). IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Miorandi, D., et al.: Internet of things: vision, applications and research challenges. Ad Hoc Netw. 10(7), pp. 1497–1516 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Yang, G., et al.: Security threats and measures for the Internet of Things. J. Tsinghua Univ. Sci. Technol. 51(10), 1335–1340 (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Bonetto, R., et al.: Secure communication for smart IoT objects: Protocol stacks, use cases and practical examples. In: 2012 IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM). IEEE (2012)Google Scholar