Frame Rate Control Buffer Management Technique for High-Quality Real-Time Video Conferencing System
The limitation of a real-time video conferencing system is that it does not perfectly guarantee real-time transmission due to a delay in the network and buffering as well as ineffective communication of user information between systems. Studies are actively investigating the network infrastructure expansion and jitter delay in order to overcome this problem. However, there has not been much progress with respect to buffering delay. This paper suggests a Frame Rate Control Buffer (FRCB) management technique to solve problems that occur due to buffering delay. The FRCB is used to prevent buffer overflow and underflow by adopting two levels of buffer thresholds, Fast-play Threshold (FTH) and Slow-play Threshold (STH). It demonstrates superior performance compared to jitter buffer in conditions such as high CPU load, thus proving its suitability for high-quality real-time video conferencing.
KeywordsVideo conferencing Buffer management Frame rate control
This research was supported by the MSIT (Ministry of Science and ICT), Korea, under the ITRC (Information Technology Research Center) support program (IITP-2018-2016-0-00304) supervised by the IITP (Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion).
- 2.Benevenuto, F., Pereira, A., Rodrigues, T., Almeida, V., Almeida, J., Gonçalves, M.: Characterization and analysis of user profiles in online video sharing systems. J. Inf. Data Manag. 1(2), 261–276 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Xu, J., Wah, B.W.: Delay-aware loss-concealment strategies for real-time video conferencing. In: Proceedings of 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, pp. 27–34 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Park, J.W., Han, S., Kim, J.W.: End-to-end monitoring service for multicast-based high-quality real-time media delivery. In: Proceedings of 3rd IEEE/IFIP Workshop on End-to-End Monitoring Techniques and Services, pp. 142–151 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Ishak, M.K., Herrmann, G., Pearson, M.: Reducing delay and jitter for real-time control communication in Ethernet. In: Proceedings of 15th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, pp. 162–168 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Mejia, A., Flich, J., Duato, J., Reinemo, S.-A., Skeie, T.: Boosting ethernet performance by segment-based routing. In: Proceedings of the Euromicro Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing, pp. 55–62 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Tiwari, N.: Behavioral analysis of the playout buffer of VoIP based applications from client perspective. In: Proceedings of 2014 5th International Conference on Computer and Communication Technology, pp. 279–284 (2014)Google Scholar