The Problem, the Potential, the Future: Creating a Thriving Future
This chapter summarises the key lessons and tools presented by the chapters of the book, and discusses how we need to shift from identifying the problem to recognising the potential in our identification and resolutions of the eco-city. Using the scenario of the restoration of an urban waterway and its ecosystem services, the chapter explores how each tool and approach can help to contribute to the transition to thriving eco-cities.
KeywordsThriving Urban ecosystems Governance Community participation
- Buchanan, Ash. 2017. We Can’t Problem Solve our Way to a Thriving Future. Medium.com. https://medium.com/benefit-mindset/problem-solving-future-making-9561596bf5b4. Accessed October 6, 2017.
- CoM. 2012. Urban Forest Strategy. Making a Great City Greener. 2012–2032. Melbourne: City of Melbourne.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. Nature in the City. Thriving Biodiversity and Healthy Ecosystems. Melbourne: City of Melbourne.Google Scholar
- CoM and MSI. 2016. Caring for Country: An Urban Application. The Possibilities for Melbourne. Melbourne: City of Melbourne and Monash Sustainability Institute.Google Scholar
- Flannery, Tim. 2002. The Birth of Melbourne. Melbourne: Text Publishing.Google Scholar
- Hes, Dominique, and Chrisna du Plessis. 2015. Designing for Hope: Pathways to Regenerative Sustainability. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Ives, Christopher D., Ruth Beilin, Ascelin Gordon, Dave Kendal, Amy K. Hahs, and Mark J. McDonnell. 2013. Local Assessment of Melbourne: The Biodiversity and Social-Ecological Dynamics of Melbourne, Australia. In Urbanization, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services: Challenges and Opportunities. A Global Assessment, ed. Thomas Elmqvist, Michail Fragkias, Julie Goodness, Burak Güneralp, Peter J. Marcotullio, Robert I. McDonald, Susan Parnell, Maria Schewenius, Marte Sendstad, Karen C. Seto, and Cathy Wilkinson, 385–407. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Jones, Michael. 2014. The Soul of Place: Re-Imagining Leadership Through Nature, Art and Community. Toronto: Friesen Press.Google Scholar
- MCMC. 2009. Merri Creek and Environs Strategy 2009–2014. Brunswick East: Merri Creek Management Committee.Google Scholar
- Meadows, Donella. 2008. Thinking in Systems: A Primer. London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- PIRG. 1975. The Merri Creek Study: A Review of Urban Creek Management, Past, Present, Future. Melbourne: Public Interest Research Group.Google Scholar
- Presland, Gary. 2008. The Place for a Village: How Nature Has Shaped the City of Melbourne. Melbourne: Museum Victoria Publishing.Google Scholar
- Underwood Spencer, Paula. 1990. A Native American Worldview. Noetic Sciences Review.Google Scholar