Passenger Satisfaction in European Airports
- 16 Downloads
Transportation is most often seen as just part of the tourism system. Among transportation types, air transport involves an important part of a broader travel and tourism sector. Thanks to air transport, the shortening of the transport time increases the average time in a destination where tourists spend time. Also, airports provide the physical and social environment in which all parties come together in the production of air transport services. On the other hand, airports represent the prestige of the country. Passenger satisfaction on airport services is an important first step for holiday satisfaction of holidaymakers because airports are the start and the end points of journeys. Therefore, airports may have a significant influence on the passengers in order to support future tourism. For this reason, it is important for airport management to assess the level of passenger satisfaction in terms of airport services. The first step of tourist’s satisfaction is satisfaction in airports which depends on various factors. Thus, it is important to identify which factors in the airport are unpleasant and which factors are enhancers of passenger satisfaction. Since there are a lot of airports in European countries, the first 100 airports receiving the highest number of passengers are chosen for this study. Our analysis is based on a sample data obtained from Skytrax. First, maps are drawn according to the cleaning, terminal settings, queuing, and overall satisfaction factors in airports in European countries. Then, we seek to find the factors affecting the overall satisfaction. The airport ownership, seating capacity, cleaning, queuing time, and the number of passengers are considered as the variables to explain the overall satisfaction. We observed that while the airport ownership and also the number of passengers are not statistically significant on the overall satisfaction, the queuing time is the main factor in explaining the overall satisfaction in European Airports.
KeywordsEuropean airports Satisfaction maps Terminal cleaning Queuing times Terminal seating facilities Overall satisfaction Regression Skytrax
This study was supported by Anadolu University Scientific Research Projects Commission under grant No: 1705E153.
- Aktaş, A., Çevirgen, A., & Toker, B. (2009). Assessing holiday satisfaction of German and Russian tourists visiting Alanya. Tourism and Hospitality Management, 15(1), 1–12.Google Scholar
- Al-Refaie, A., Bata, N., Eteiwi, D., & Jalham, I. (2014). Examining factors that affect passenger’s overall satisfaction and loyalty: Evidence from Jordan airport. Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, 8(2), 94–101.Google Scholar
- Athula Gnanapala, W. K. (2015). Tourists perception and satisfaction: Implications for destination management. American Journal of Marketing Research, 1(1), 7–19. Retrieved from http://www.aiscience.org/journal/ajmr.
- Batra, A. (2014). The role of airport servicescape: The transient community perspective. Tourism Dimensions, 1(1), 27–37.Google Scholar
- Bieger, T., & Wittmer, A. (2006). Air transport and tourism—Perspectives and challenges for destinations, airlines and governments. Journal of Air Transport Management, 12, 40–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2005.09.0077).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chao, C. C., Lin, H. C., & Chen, C. Y. (2013). Enhancing airport service quality: A case study of Kaohsiung International Airport. In Proceedings of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, 10 (pp. 2235–2254).Google Scholar
- Çolak, S., & Doğan Ü. (2015). Havaalanı Hizmet Kalitesinin Müşteri. Memnuniyetine Etkisi: Kayseri Havalimanı Örneği. Retrieved from https://docplayer.biz.tr/19025548-Havaalani-hizmet-kalitesinin-musteri-memnuniyetine-etkisi-kayseri-havalimani-ornegi.html.
- Correia, A. R., Wirasinghe, S. C., & de Barros, A. G. (2008). Overall level of service measures for airport passenger terminals. Transportation Research Part A, 42, 330–346.Google Scholar
- Demir, G., & Terzi, S. (2012). Architecturally assessment of airport terminal buildings. e-Journal of New World Sciences Academy, 7(2). Article Number: 1A0326.Google Scholar
- Dimitriou, D. (2018). Mobilities, tourism and travel behavior—Contexts and boundaries. In L. Butowski (Ed.). ISBN 978-953-51-3727-6, Print ISBN 978-953-51-3726-9. InTech, Chapters published January 17, 2018, under CC BY 3.0 license. https://doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.71597.
- Dimitriou, D., & Aparicio, S. (2018). Comparative evaluation of airports productivity toward tourism development. Cogent Business & Management, 5(1), 1464378.Google Scholar
- Doğan, H. (2013). Süpermarketlerin Hizmet Kalitesinin Değerlendirilmesi: Doğu Karadeniz Bölgesi Örneği (Master’s thesis). Trabzon: Karadeniz Teknik Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü.Google Scholar
- Douglas, A., Lubbe, B., & Zambellis, J. (2001). An application of the airport service quality model in South Africa. Journal of Air Transport Management, 17, 224.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2011). Europe’s airports 2030: Challenges ahead (MEMO 11/857).Google Scholar
- Fuchs, M., & Weiermair, K. (2004). Destination benchmarking: An indicator-system’s potential for exploring guest satisfaction. Journal of Travel Research. Retrieved from https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0047287503258827.
- Gim, T. H. T. (2018). Article tourist satisfaction, image, and loyalty from an interregional perspective: An analysis of neighboring areas with distinct characteristics. Sustainability, 10(4), 1283. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10041283.
- Işıldak, B., & ve Tunca, M. Z. (2018). Havalimanı Hizmetlerinde Müşteri memnuniyetini etkileyen Faktörler Üzerine Bir araştırma, Süleyman Demirel University. Journal of Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, 23(1), 241–255.Google Scholar
- Khan, S. A. R., Qianli, D., SongBo, W., Zaman, K., & Zhang, Y. (2017). Travel and tourism competitiveness index: The impact of air transportation, railways transportation, travel and transport services on international inbound and outbound tourism. Journal of Air Transport Management, 58, 125–134.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kim, S. H., Han, H. S., Holland, S., & Byon, K. K. (2009). Structural relationships among involvement, destination brand equity, satisfaction and destination visit intentions: The case of Japanese outbound travelers. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 15(4), 349–365.Google Scholar
- Kim, M.-H., Park, J.-W., & Choi, Y.-J. (2016). A study on the effect of airport choice attributes on airport users’ satisfaction and behavioural intentions: The case of Gimpo International Airport. Journal of Airport Management, 10(2), 145–157.Google Scholar
- Kuyucak, F. (2007). Havaalanlarında Değer Odaklı Yönetim Yönelimli Bilgi Sistemlerinin Kullanılması ve Atatürk Havalimanı Terminal İşletmeciliği uygulaması (Doctoral dissertation). Eskişehir: Anadolu University, Social Sciences Institute.Google Scholar
- Lam,T., Zhang, H., & Baum, T. (2011). An investigation of employees’ job satisfaction: The case of Hotel in Hong Kong. Tourism Management, 22(2), 157–165.Google Scholar
- Lee, J. (2014). Visitors’ emotional responses to the festival environment. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 31(1), 114–131.Google Scholar
- Mohammad, B. A. M. Al. H. (2014). Examining tourist’s satisfaction, loyalty and intention to revisit Bashar. International Journal of Management Sciences, 2(6), 260–273.Google Scholar
- Oflac, B. S., & Yumurtaci, I. O. (2014). Improving passenger satisfaction at airports: An analysis for shortening baggage access time. Journal of Management, Marketing and Logistics, 1(4), 339–347.Google Scholar
- Okumuş, A., & ve Asil, H. (2007). Havayolu Taşımacılığında Yerli ve Yabancı Yolcuların Memnuniyet Düzeylerine Göre Beklentilerinin İncelenmesi, Kocaeli University. Journal of the Institute of Social Sciences, 13(1), 152–175.Google Scholar
- Qiu, H., Ye, B. H., Bai, B., & Wang, W. H. (2015). Do the roles of switching barriers on customer loyalty vary for different types of hotels? International Journal of Hospitality Management, 46, 89–98.Google Scholar
- Ryu, K., Lee, H.-R., & Kim, W. G. (2012). The influence of the quality of the physical environment, food, and service on restaurant image, customer perceived value, customer satisfaction, and behavioral intentions. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 24(2), 200–223.Google Scholar
- Saatçioğlu, C. (2016). Ulaştırma Ekonomisi Sistemler-Politikalar-Uygulamalar. İstanbul: Sümer Kitabevi.Google Scholar
- Sarılgan, A. E. (2016). Impact of low cost carriers on Turkish tourism industry. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 6(4), 176–188.Google Scholar
- Shirazi, F.M. (2016). Assessing tourist satisfaction forms the basis for destination improvement. 4th Interdisciplinary Tourism Research Conference: 298–303. ISBN: 978-605-65762-3-2.Google Scholar
- Tan, H. (2008). Havaalanlarının Turizmdeki Etkinliği ve Verimliliği: Veri Zarflama Analizi(Dea) Kullanılarak Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Havalimanlarında Ölçümü, Uzmanlık Alan Tezi. Ankara: T.C. Kültür ve Turizm Bakanlığı Dış İlişkiler ve AB Koordinasyon Dairesi Başkanlığı.Google Scholar
- Wöber, K., & Fesenmaier, D. R. (2004). A multi-criteria approach to destination benchmarking. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 16(2–3), 1–18.Google Scholar
- Yavuz, N. (2018). Türkiye’de Demiryolu ulaştırması alanında politika ve planlar ile bilimsel yayınlar arasındaki ilişki (Master’s thesis). Anadolu University.Google Scholar
- Yen-Lun Su, A. (2004). Customer satisfaction measurement practice in Taiwan hotels. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 23(4), 397–408.Google Scholar