An Overview of Local Authority and Stadium Corporation Sports Facility Maintenance Management Practices in Malaysia
This study aimed to review the public sports facilities maintenance management practice managed by the Local Authority (LA) and the Stadium Corporation (SC) in Malaysia. This study is also intended to explore differences in the practice of the public sports facilities maintenance management based on respondents and facilities background as well as comparing two models of public sports facility management organizations. The study is based on the maintenance effectiveness model developed by Cholasuke, Ramnik Bhardwa and Jiju Antony (2004). The sample consists of 105 maintenance management staffs from 13 LA and 7 SC in Malaysia. The purposive sampling technique was used for sample selection of this study. A Likert scale questionnaire was adapted and used for the study and after that, it underwent a process of validity and reliability within the local context. Descriptive statistics are used to describe the basic features of the data in a study by using frequencies, percentages, mean, and standard deviation. Meanwhile, nonparametric test such as Mann–Whitney U, Kruskal–Wallis, and Wilcoxon T-test were used for inferential analysis. From the data analysis, it showed that the LA is more effective than the SC in terms of maintenance management for public sports facilities as a whole. The result for each effectiveness maintenance success factors showed that LA is more effective in the management of public sports facilities maintenance compared to the SC in Malaysia based on the factors such as organizational structure maintenance, planning and scheduling maintenance, maintenance information management, human resource management, and maintenance contract management. However, SC is only effective in continuous improvement factor. This study is expected to provide important information to help sports administrators understand related issues in the maintenance management of sports facilities, thus helping to improve the quality of sports facility maintenance management in Malaysia.
KeywordsSports facility Maintenance management Maintenance
- 1.Zulfakar, M. (2005, July 1). Najib: Stop it. The Star.Google Scholar
- 2.Abdullah, F. (2005). Projek Baru Kemudahan Sukan Dibeku. Beirta Harian, 1 Julai 2005.Google Scholar
- 3.Anon. (2009, June 3). KBS Sedia Teliti Akta Sukan Untuk Kawal Selia Stadium. Bernama.Google Scholar
- 5.Mukelas, F. M., Zawawi, E., Kamaruzzaman, S. N., Ithnin, Z, & Zulkarnain, S. (2012). A review of critical success factors in building maintenance management of local authority in Malaysia (PP. 653–657). https://doi.org/10.1109/isbeia.2012.6422970.
- 7.Annies, A. (2007). current issues and challenges in managing government s assets and facilities. In Proceeding of the National Asset and Facilities Management (NAFAM) Convention, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, August 13.Google Scholar
- 8.Jabatan Audit Negara Malaysia. (2010). Laporan Ketua Audit Negara Tahun 2010: Kewangan, Pengurusan Aktiviti, Dan Pengurusan, Serta Subsidiari, Syarikat Persekutuan, Badan Berkanun.Google Scholar
- 10.Yang, K., & Niu, X. (2009). Research on the spare parts inventory. Facilities (pp. 1018–1021).Google Scholar