Longitudinal Control of Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle by PID Controller
The paper presents the design of PID controller for longitudinal dynamics of small UAV. It also provides the state matrices by using physical parameters: aerodynamic coefficients and stability derivatives. PID controller provides the stability to UAV and transient specifications. The focus of this paper is on modelling and control design for a UAV system. The novel approach suggested in this paper is to use PID controller. PID controller is only used to provide the required transient response (Stevens and Lewis in Aircraft control and simulation. Wiley, Hoboken, ).
KeywordsUAV PID controller Ziegler Nicholas tuning
- 1.B. L. Stevens and F. L. Lewis, “Aircraft Control and Simulation”, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley& Sons, Inc., 2nd ed., 2003.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Elsayed, A. Hafez, A.N., H. Eldin, H. Mohammad “Modelling of small UAV”, International Journal of Mechanical/Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronic and Manufacturing Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2015.Google Scholar
- 3.D. T. Greenwood, “Principles of Dynamics. Englewood Cliffs”, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2nd ed., 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Murch, A., Dorobantu, A., and Balas, G., “University of Minnesota UAVFlight Control Research Group,” http://www.uav.aem.umn.edu, 4 March 2013.
- 5.Murch, A., Paw, Y. C., Pandita, R., Li, Z., and Balas, G., “A Low CostSmall UAV Flight Research Facility,” CEAS Conference on Guidance, Navigation, and Control, Munich, Germany, 2011.Google Scholar
- 6.Edward AFB CA, “Flying Qualities Phase. Vol. 2”, USAF TEST PilotSchool, 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.“USAF Stability and Control DATCOM”, Flight Control Division, AirForce Flight Dynamics Laboratory, Wright- Patterson Air Force Base, Oh, 1980.Google Scholar
- 8.Xinzhong Chen, Ahsan Kareem, “Advances in Modeling of AerodynamicForces on Bridge Decks”, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, November 2002.Google Scholar
- 9.Andrei Dorobantu, Austin M. Murchy, Bernie Mettlerz, and Gary J. Balasx, “Frequency Domain System Identification for a Small, Low-Cost, Fixed-Wing UAV” Department of Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 55455, USA, pp. 1–13.Google Scholar
- 10.Randal W. Beard, Timothy W. Mclain, “Small Unmanned Aircraft: Theory and Practice”, Princeton University Press, 2012.Google Scholar