Enrichment of UML by Introjection of Functional Model
The de facto status of unified modeling language (UML) remains unaltered even after 20 years of advances in other technologies. The non-ascension in the status indicates some lacuna in UML, though it has undergone up-gradation in subsequent versions. Initially, UML is developed by three amigos to widen the scope and enhance the richness of diagramming languages. The clairvoyant study based on the number of involved diagrams indicates that, instead of unifying the semiotics of all three amigos diagramming languages, the diagrams of three languages are unified, discarding some of the diagrams with apprehension of descension in UML richness. The functional model which is quintessence of any open system has been discarded costing utilities of UML. This paper formulates the richness through logical positivism, unifies the semiotics of participating diagramming languages, and enhances through the reintroduction of modified functional model in the form of work process flow diagram.
KeywordsFunctional model Unified modeling language Semiotics Syntactics Semantics Pragmatics Business process Work process Open system Class diagram Data flow diagram
Words are insufficient to express our deep sense of gratitude to Dr. D.B. Phatak, Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering IIT Bombay, for his inspiration.
- 4.Booch, G., Jacobson, I., Rumbaugh, J.: The Unified Modeling Language User Guide, 2nd edn. Pearson Publisher (2007). ISBN 9788131715826, 8131715825Google Scholar
- 5.Rumbaugh, J., Jacobson, I., Booch, G.: Unified Modeling Language Reference Manual, 2nd edn. Addison Wesley, Pearson Education, Boston (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Eriksson, H.-E., et al.: UML 2 toolkit, vol. 26. Wiley, Hoboken (2003). ISBN 978-0-471-46361-0Google Scholar
- 7.Stephenson Smith S.: New International Webster Comprehensive Dictionary of English Language (Deluxe Encyclopedic Edition), Trident Press International (2003). ISBN 9781582795577Google Scholar
- 8.Handigund, S.M., Kshama, S.B., Ranjana, N.: An ameliorated methodology for design and development of a work process diagram to be incorporated in UML. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI) 2013, pp. 184–190. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICACCI.2013.6637168 (2013)
- 9.Coremen, T.H., et al.: Introduction to Algorithms, 2nd edn. PHI Learning Private Limited, New Delhi (2009). ISBN 978-81-203-2141-0Google Scholar
- 11.Project Management Institute: A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)—Fifth Edition 2012, Kindle Edition, Publisher: Project Management Institute (2010). ISBN-13: 978-1935589815Google Scholar