Design and Analysis of Compact Circular Half-Ring Monopole Antenna with DGS
A compact circular monopole shaped antenna is designed to operate at the dual band, and it is modified as half circle strip loaded circular monopole antenna with defected ground structure (DGS). The proposed antenna consisting of the combination of circular radiating element and half circle strip on the top side of the FR4 substrate material with permittivity 4.4. The bottom side a dumbbell-shaped DGS is incorporated to enhance the antenna bandwidth parameter. The proposed antenna is providing a bandwidth of 8 GHz and covering the UWB range. A peak realized a gain of more than 3 dB and directivity of 3.6 dB is achieved from the current design. The proposed antenna is providing excellent impedance and radiation characteristics in the operating band.
KeywordsCircular monopole Defected ground structure (DGS) Half ring Permittivity Wideband
Authors like to convey their sincere thanks to the dept of ECE of SRKR Engineering College and K L University for the support during this process. Madhav likes to express his thanks to DST through Grants ECR/2016/000569 and SR/FST/ETI-316/2012.
- 1.Lee, C.P., Chakrabarty, C.K.: Ultra wideband microstrip diamond slotted patch antenna with enhanced bandwidth. Int. J. Commun. Netw. Syst. Sci. 4(7), 468 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.FCC First report and order on ultra wide band technology, Washington, DC (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Sundar, P.S., Kotamraju, S.K., Ramakrishna, T.V., Madhav, B.T.P.: Novel miniatured wide band annular slot monopole antenna. Far East J. Electron. Commun. 14(2), 149–159. ISSN: 0973-7006 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Ritu, K.S.: Microstrip antenna design for UWB applications. Int. J. Adv. Res. Comput. Commun. Eng. 2(10), 3824–3828 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Singh, Y., Singh, D., Gill, G. S.: Design of wideband microstrip antenna for UWB applications. Int. Res. J. Eng. Technol. 2(5), 995–998 (2015) Google Scholar
- 6.Madhav, B.T.P., Kaza, H.: Novel printed monopole trapezoidal notch antenna with S-band rejection. J. Theor. Appl. Inf. Technol. 76(1), 42–49. ISSN: 1992-8645 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Mohan Reddy, S.S., Mallikarjunarao, P., Madhav, B.T.P.: Asymmetric defected ground structured monopole antenna for wideband communication systems. Int. J. Commun. Antenna Propag. 5(5), 256–262. ISSN: 2039-5086 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Ahuja, N., Khanna, R., Kaur, J.: Dual band defected ground microstrip patch antenna for WLAN/WiMax and satellite application. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 48(22), 1–5 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Bhavani, K.V.L., Khan, H., Madhav, B.T.P.: Multiband slotted aperture antenna with defected ground structure for C and X-band communication applications. J. Theor. Appl. Inf. Technol. 82(3), 454–461. ISSN: 1992-8645 (2015)Google Scholar