Postpartum maternal collapse has a very high maternal morbidity and mortality. The primary goal is immediate and effective resuscitation of the woman to ensure adequate oxygenation and effective cardiac output. Along with resuscitation, the cause of collapse needs to be recognized and managed appropriately. The staff in all obstetric units needs to be skilled in identifying high-risk cases and providing initial effective resuscitation, while considering the cause of collapse to provide specific, directed continuing management.
KeywordsPostpartum collapse Resuscitation ABCDE CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
- 1.Maternal collapse in pregnancy and the puerperium. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Green Top Guideline No. 56, 2011.Google Scholar
- 3.Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Saving mothers’ lives 2003–2005. Confidential enquiry into maternal and child health. London: RCOG Press; 2007.Google Scholar
- 5.Working group of Resuscitation Council (UK Emergency treatment of anaphylactic reactions; Guidelines for healthcare providers. London: Resuscitation Council (UK); 2008. http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/reaction.pdf.
- 6.Nolan JP, Soar J, Zideman DA, Barrent D, Bossaert LL, Deakin CD, et al., ERC Guidelines Writing Group. European Resuscitation Council Guidelines for Resuscitation 2010 Section 1. Executive summary. Resuscitation. 2010;81:1219–76.Google Scholar
- 7.Thrombolic disease in pregnancy and the puerperium: acute management, RCOG Green Top Guidelines No. 37 b, April 2015.Google Scholar
- 8.Steer PJ, Gatzoulis MA, Baker P. Heart disease and pregnancy. London: RCOG Press; 2006.Google Scholar
- 10.Foxall G, McCahon R, Lamb J, Hardman JG, Bedforth NM. Levobupivacaine-induced seizures and cardiovascular collapse treated with Intralipid. Anaesthesia. 2007;62:516–8.Google Scholar
- 11.National Patient Safety Agency. Safer practice with epidural injections and infusions. Patient safety alert 21. London:National Patient Safety Agency; 2007.Google Scholar
- 13.Nanda S, Peena LK. Postpartum collapse. Curr Obstet Gynaecol. 2009;16(8):221–8.Google Scholar
- 14.AHA CPR Guidelines—Updated 2014/2015.Google Scholar