Development of an Electronic Patch for Falls Detection and Elderly Tracking
Considering the population aging all over the world, that leads to an increasing rate of Alzheimer’s troubles, patients suffer from problems, like restless sleep for instance, which causes recurring falls. Such falls can be seen as a disease marker and thus could help diagnosis. This new field of research is known as Human Health Monitoring. The developed systems must be able to provide in real time information about weakness and vulnerability of elderly people. This paper presents the design of an electronic patch dedicated to the monitoring of elderly suffering from Alzheimer disease. This device ensures falls detection and geolocation in the case of fugues via GPS with the integration of wireless charging function. Different antennas were simulated and fabricated simultaneously with the PCB patch to reduce the total cost and present quite good simulated and measured performances.
This work is part of SACHA project funded by French government and “Région Midi Pyrénées” in France. The partners of the project are Sigfox, Axible, Telecom Design companies, e-santé and CHIVA hospital.
- 1.http://www.Esa.un.org, World Population Prospects, the 2012 Revision, 2015. [Online]. Available: http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/unpp/panel_indicators.htm. [Accessed: 18- Jul- 2015].
- 2.T. Suzuki, H. Tanaka, S. Minami, H. Yamada, and T. Miyata, Wearable wireless vital monitoring technology for smart health care, 7th Int. Symp. Medical Inform. Commun. Technology (ISMICT), 6–8 March 2013, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Hyun, S. Noh, C. Yoon, and H. C. Kim, Patch type integrated sensor system for measuring electrical and mechanical cardiac activities, IEEE Sensors Applicat. Symp. (SAS), 18–20 Feb. 2014, pp. 94–96.Google Scholar
- 5.Securafone.com, ‘SecuraFone’, 2015. [Online]. Available: https://www.securafone.com/subpages/health.php. [Accessed: 18-Jul-2015].
- 6.Chutes—maisons-de-retraite.fr, Maisons-de-retraite.fr, 2015. [Online]. Available: http://www.maisons-de-retraite.fr/La-sante-des-seniors/Chutes. [Accessed: 18-Jul-2015].
- 7.http://www.keysight.com, Advanced Design System. [online]. Available: http://www.keysight.com/en/pc-1297113/advanced-design-system-ads?cc=FR&lc=fre. [Accessed: 18- Jul- 2015].
- 8.S. A. Sabki, and N. M. L. Tan, Wireless power transfer for electric vehicle, IEEE 8th Int. Power Eng. and Optimization Conf. (PEOCO), 24–25 Mar. 2014, pp. 41–46.Google Scholar
- 9.F. Musavi, and W. Eberle, Overview of wireless power transfer technologies for electric vehicle battery charging, Power Electronics, IET, vol.7, no.1, Jan. 2014, pp. 60–66.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Jiang, S. Liang, J. Zhang, S. Liou, and H. Shahnasser, Design and optimization of printed spiral coils in wireless power transfer for biomedical implants, 4th Int. Conf. on Biomedical Eng. and Informatics (BMEI), vol. 2, 15–17 Oct. 2011, pp. 1064–1067.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Hached, A. Trigui, I. El Khalloufi, M. Sawan, O. Loutochin, and J. Corcos, A bluetooth-based Low-Energy Qi-compliant battery charger for implan medical devices, IEEE Int. Symp. On Bioelectronics and Bioinformatics (ISBB), 11–14 Apr. 2014, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 12.‘wireless Power Consortium’. [online]. Available: http://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/. [Accessed: 18-Jul-2015].