Epiduroscopic Trans-Sacral Approach: Anatomic and Technical Considerations
With advances in optical technology, endoscopy has begun to play an ever-increasing role in the diagnosis and treatment of lumbar pathologic lesion.
The technique of Trans-Sacral Epiduroscopic laser decompression (SELD) is very useful in the treatment of small herniated disc, annular tear syndrome, discal cyst and ventral epidural adhesions.
We recommend that the surgeon have analyzed the anatomical variation of the thecal end at the beginning of the procedure evident on MRI T1 sequence.
The aim of this study presented in this chapter is to determine the anatomical variations in epidural space of lumbosacral area before procedure by MRI for correct placement of epiduroscopy, laser and for a successful operation.
KeywordsEpiduroscopy Anatomy of lumbosacral
- 4.Shutse G, Kurtse G, Grol O, Enns E. Endoscopic method for the diagnosis and treatment of spinal pain syndromes. Anesteziol Reanimatol. 1996;(4):62–4. RussianGoogle Scholar
- 6.Igarashi T, Hirabayashi Y, Seo N, Saitoh K, Fukuda H, Suzuki H. Lysis of adhesions and epidural injection of steroid/local anaesthetic during epiduroscopy potentially alleviate low back and leg pain in elderly patients with lumbar spinal stenosis. Br J Anaesth. 2004;93(2):181–7. Epub 2004 Jun 11PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Sakai T, Aoki H, Hojo M, Takada M, Murata H, Sumikawa K. Adhesiolysis and targeted steroid/local anesthetic injection during epiduroscopy alleviates pain and reduces sensory nerve dysfunction in patients with chronic sciatica. J Anesth. 2008;22(3):242–7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00540-008-0616-4. Epub 2008 Aug 7PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Schutze G. Epiduroscopy: spinal endoscopy. first ed. Heidelberg: Springer; 2008.Google Scholar
- 9.Snoke, PJ. Method of epidural surgery. Inventor. United States Patent No. US 6,464,682 B1, 15, October, 2002. Doc.Google Scholar
- 18.Kilicaslan A, Keskin F, Babaoglu O, Gok F, Erdi MF, Kaya B, Ozbiner H, Ozbek O, Koc O, Kacira BK. Morphometric analysis of the sacral canal and hiatus using multidetector computed tomography for interventional procedures. Turk Neurosurg. 2015;25(4):566–73. https://doi.org/10.5137/1019-5149.JTN.10942-14.0.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Park TS, Hwang BW, Park SJ, Baek SY, Yoon S. Morphometric analysis of distances between sacral hiatus and conus medullaris using magnetic resonance image in Korean adult. Korean J Phys Anthropol. 2016;29(4):145–54. https://doi.org/10.11637/kjpa.2016.29.4.145. Korean. Published online December 30, 2016CrossRefGoogle Scholar