Theoretical Basis of Soft Target Protection
- 21 Downloads
Over the last few years the number of terrorist attacks in Europe has increased considerably, causing significant tension and nervousness. Not only in Europe, but around the world, terrorist attacks and other violent crimes are increasingly concentrated on targets that are easy accessable, and characterized by a high concentration of people and a relatively low level of protection – soft targets.
In this paper, we will present methods of identifying factors that affect the protection of soft targets. We will use a mind mapping to identify an attacker, as well as conditions for attacking soft targets. We will also present possible concepts of soft targets protection.
KeywordsSoft target Qualitative methods Assumptions and conditions of attack Concepts of protection
- 1.Hofreiter L, Kubíková Z (2017) Soft target protection as a problem of the national security. In: Secure Slovakia and European Union (is Slovak Bezpečné Slovensko a Európska únia). European Parliament Office, Košice, pp 145–152Google Scholar
- 3.US Department of Homeland Security: soft targets and crowded places. Security plan overview, https://www.dhs.gov/publication/securing-soft-targets-and-crowded-places, last accessed 2018/12/18
- 4.Hesterman J (2015) Soft target hardening: protecting people from attack, 1st edn. CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group. https://doi.org/10.1201/b17914
- 5.Definition of soft target in English, 2017. English Oxford living dictionaries, https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/soft_target, last accessed 2018/12/14
- 6.What is the soft – target and hard – target principle? travel security handbook., http://www.travel-security-handbook.com/what-is-the-soft-target-and-hard-target-principle/ last accessed 2018/12/12
- 7.Kalvach Z et al (2016) Basics of soft targets protection – guidelines. Soft Targets Protection Institute, z.ú, PragueGoogle Scholar