Assessing Pressures in Landscape Planning
This chapter provides an overview of relevant pressures, their more specific effects in different types of ecosystems, some guidelines for assessing pressures, and an illustrative case study. It provides insights concerning which pressures need to receive particular consideration in different types of ecosystems, and how they can be evaluated. An example is provided through a case study of pressures on natural capital in East Anglia, UK.
KeywordsPressures Landscape impacts Ecosystem impacts Risk register
- EEA. (2010). The European environment: State and outlook 2010, land use. http://www.eea.europa.eu/soer/europe/land-use/at_download/file. Accessed 18 June 2018.
- EEA. (2012). Climate change, impacts and vulnerability in Europe 2012: An indicator-based report (EEA Report No 12/2012). http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/climate-impacts-and-vulnerability-2012. Accessed 4 July 2018.
- EEA. (2015). European ecosystem assessment: Concept, data, and implementation (EEA Technical Report No 6/2015). http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/europeanecosystem-assessment. Accessed 18 June 2018.
- EEA. (2017) Aviation and shipping – impacts on Europe’s environment (EEA Report No 22/2017). https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/term-report/#content-1. Accessed 18 June 2018.
- European Commission. (2016). Mapping and assessment of ecosystems and their services, mapping and assessing the condition of Europe’s ecosystems: Progress and challenges. Luxembourg: Publications office of the European Union.Google Scholar
- Kløve, B., Allan, A., Bertrand, G., et al. (2011). Groundwater dependent ecosystems. Part II. Ecosystem services and management in Europe under risk of climate change and land use intensification. Environmental Science & Policy, 14, 782–793. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2011.04.005.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lovett, A. A., Turner, R. K., & Sünnenberg, G., et al. (2018). A natural capital asset check and risk register for the Anglian Water Combined Services Area. CSERGE and The Anglian Centre for Water Studies, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.Google Scholar
- Maes, J., Teller, A., Erhard, M., et al. (2014). Mapping and assessment of ecosystems and their services. Indicators for ecosystem assessments under action 5 of the EU biodiversity strategy to 2020, 2nd report. Luxembourg: Publications office of the European Union.Google Scholar
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. (2005). Ecosystems and human well-being: Synthesis. Washington, DC: Island Press.Google Scholar
- Natural Capital Committee. (2017). How to do it: A natural capital workbook Version 1. https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/natural-capital-committee. Accessed 18 June 2018.
- Rounsevell, M. D. A., & Harrison, P. A. (2016). Drivers of change for ecosystem services. In M. Potschin, R. Haines-Young, R. Fish, & R. K. Turner (Eds.), Routledge handbook of ecosystem services (pp. 94–98). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Smeets, E., & Weterings, R. (1999). Environmental indicators: Typology and overview (Technical Report No. 25). Copenhagen: EEA.Google Scholar
- von Haaren, C. (Ed.). (2004). Landschaftsplanung. Stuttgart: Eugen Ulmer.Google Scholar