Embryonic Mortality and Egg-white Protein Polymorphism in Chicken
We have studied egg-white protein polymorphism in 4450 incubated and un-incubated eggs from White Leghorn chickens.
We found the B-allele of Lush locus II to predispose to embryonic mortality. In two other populations we found the A-allele of locus II to predispose to embryonic mortality. It is therefore concluded, that embryonic mortality is not controlled by one factor alone.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashton, G. C., Evans, J. V. and Turner, H. N., 1963. Personal communication.Google Scholar
- Jamieson, A., 1960. J-phenotypes in relation to conception rates, Immunogenetica Edinburgensis, 1960–156 d.Google Scholar
- Khattab, A.G.H., Watson, J. H. and Axford, R.F.E., 1964. 140th Meeting of Genetical Society, London 9–10, 11, 1962. Animal Prod., 6, 207.Google Scholar
- Law, G. R. J., 1963. Independence of genetic variants of egg-white proteins of domestic fowl, Proc. XI Intern. Congr, Genetics, I, 193.Google Scholar
- Lush I. E., 1963. Polymorphisms in the egg albumen proteins of the domestic fowl, Proc. XI Intern. Congr, Genetics, I, 153.Google Scholar
- Ogden, A. L. and Woolfe, B., 1963. Personal communication.Google Scholar
- Pavel, U. and Mööl, A., 1967. Concerning the effect of the genotype of the motherbird on the fertilization and resistance of the embryo, International Symposium on Immunology of Spermatozoa and Fertlization, Sept. 27–29, 1967 Varna, Bulgaria.Google Scholar
- Schmto, D.O. and Thein, P., 1967. Embryonic mortality and egg-white protein polymorphism in chicken, International Symposium on Immunology of Spermatozoa and Fertilization, Sept. 27–29, 1967, Varna, Bulgaria.Google Scholar
- Schmid, D. O. and Thein, P., 1968. Embryonaler Fruchttod und Eiklarprotein Polymorphismus beim Huhn Zuchthygiene. (In print).Google Scholar
- Sheridan, A. K., 1964. A sex-linked mutation causing low hatchability in the broiler chicken, Proc. Austral. Poultry Sci. Conv., 1, 87.Google Scholar
- Somes, R. G. and Smith, J. R., 1967. Prenatal, a sex-linked lethal mutation of the fowl, J. Her ed., 58, 25.Google Scholar
- Stratil, A., 1966. A contribution towards the study of transferrins and conalbumins of the domestic fowl, Proc. X Europ. Conf. Animal Blood Groups, Paris, 241.Google Scholar
- Thein, P. and Schmid, D. O., 1968. Embryonic mortality in chickens and its diagnosis by examination of egg-white protein polymorphism, VI Congrès de Reproduction et Insemination Artificielle, Paris.Google Scholar