Blood Group and Serum Type Studies in Basuto Ponies
The Basuto pony is perhaps the only equine in Southern Africa which has characteristics so typical that it could be regarded as an indigenous breed.
Remarkably low frequencies of blood factors A2, C and I, and relatively high frequencies of H and K point to the uniqueness of this breed. A relatively high frequency of the transferrin allele TfH and a very low frequency of TfD add to the assumption that a specific horse breed has been formed in Lesotho.
No haemoglobin polymorphism could be found. Albumin and esterase types were also investigated and here, evidence was brought forward that a relationship exists with the Boer horse, being a cross between the original Cape horse and English Thoroughbreds imported later.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Braend, M., 1964 Serum types of Norwegian horses, Nord. vet. med., 16, 363.Google Scholar
- Braend, M. and Efremov, G., 1965. Haemoglobins, haptoglobins and albumins of horses, Proc. 9th Eur. Conf. Anim. Blood Groups, 253.Google Scholar
- Braend, M. and Stormont, C., 1964. Studies on haemoglobin and transferrin types of horses, Nord. vet. med., 16, 31.Google Scholar
- Buschmann, H., 1963. Die Bedeutung der Serumtypenbestimmung für die forensische Veterinärmedizin, Zentr. Bl. vet. med., B. X, 49.Google Scholar
- Gahne, B., 1965. Studies on the inheritance of electrophoretic forms of transferrins, albumins, pre-albumins and plasma esterases of horses, Genetics, 53, 681.Google Scholar
- Hesselholt, M., 1966. Studies on blood and serum types of the Icelandic horses, Acta Vet. Scand., 7, 207.Google Scholar
- Kaminski, M., 1964. Serum proteins in equidae: species, race and individual differences, Proc. 9th Eur. Conf. Anim. Blood Groups, 245.Google Scholar
- Osterhoff, D. R. and Ward-Cox, I. S., 1967. Preliminary horse breed comparison with regard to haemoglobin and serum type polymorphism, Proc. S., Afr. Soc. Anim. Prod., 6 (In press).Google Scholar
- Schmid, D.O., 1967. Erforschung der Blutgruppen bei Rind, Pferd und Huhn, Habil. Schrift, München.Google Scholar
- Stormont, C., Suzuki, Y., and Rendel, J., 1965. Application of blood typing and protein tests in horses, Proc. 9th Eur. Conf. Anim. Blood Groups, 221.Google Scholar