Polymorphism of Chicken Serum Transferrin
Sera from various chicken breeds were subjected to disc electrophoresis. Transferrin variations of five types were found: A, B, AB, BC and AC. As a result of the analysis of these types it was concluded that transferrin types in chickens are controlled by a triallelic system of genes at a single locus with six corresponding phenotypes: TfA, TfB and TfC in homozygous form and TfAB, TfBC and TfAC in heterozygous form. The triallelic hypothesis was tested by the genetic analysis of offspring from matings of tested parents. The existence of transferrin subtypes, in particular two subtypes of TfB are suggested.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Debabov, W. G. and Rebentish, B. A., 1966. Fractionation of histones by electrophoresis in Polyacrylamide gel, Biochemistry Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R., 31, 943–947.Google Scholar
- Vyshinsky, F. C. O geneticheskom polymorphizme transferrina syvorotky krovy kur razlichnyh porod (On the genetic polymorphism of various breed chicken serum transferrin), Sbornik rabot molodykh uchenykh VNITIP,* XI (In press).Google Scholar
- Ornstein, L. and Davis B. J., 1962. Disc electrophoresis, Preprinted by Distillation Products Ind. N.Y.Google Scholar
- Rausch, W. H. et al., 1965a. The determination of bovine transferrin types by disc electrophoresis, J. Dairy Sciences, 48, 6, 720.Google Scholar
- Rausch, W. H. et al., 1965b. Inheritance of bovine transferrin types as determined by disc electrophoresis, J. Dairy Science, 48, 7, 990.Google Scholar
- Safonov, V.I. and Safonova, M. P., 1964. Metod electroforeza belkov rasteny v synteticheskoi srede — poliakrilamidnom gele (The method of plant protein electrophoresis in the synthetic medium of poliacrylamid gel), Fiziologia rastenii, 11, 147.Google Scholar