Additional Studies into Serum Amylase in Swine
At least 4 zones of amylase activity were distinguished after starch-agar electrophoresis of swine serum. One zone was situated in the leading edge of serum albumin and three zones in the γ-globulin area. Two-dimensional electrophoresis, starch-agar-starch gel, demonstrated that the amylase of the albumin field migrates in starch gel and exhibits gene-controlled variations, while the amylase of the γ-field apparently remain at the insertion point.
Various tissues were subjected to starch-agar and starch gel electrophoresis for the separation of amylase. The majority of tissue amylase investigated appeared in the γ-globulin field. The amylases in the follicular fluid and uterus extracts showed, however, an electrophoretic picture identical to that of serum. Finally, the tissue source of serum amylase and the state of the various amylases in serum are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Graetzer, M. A., Hesselholt, M., Moustgaard, J. and Thymann, M., 1964. Studies on protein polymorphism in pigs, horses and cattle. Blood Groups of Animals, Proc. 9 Europ. Anim. Blood Groups Conf, Prague, 1965, 279–293.Google Scholar
- Hesselholt, M., 1966. Additional serum type alleles in pigs (In Danish, English summary), Aars-beretning. Inst. Sterilitetsforskn, Copenhagen, 75–83.Google Scholar
- Hesselholt, M., Larsen, B. and Nielsen, P. B., 1966. Studies on serum amylase systems in swine, horses and cattle, Aarsskr. K. Vet. Landbohøjsk, 78–90.Google Scholar
- Hesselholt, M. and Moustgaard, J., 1965. Serum amylase polymorphism in cattle and its application in the parentage control (In Danish, English summary). Aarsberetn. Inst. Sterilitets-forsk, Copenhagen, 175–182.Google Scholar
- Hirschfeld, J. 1960. Immunoelectrophoresis — Procedure and application to the study of group-specific variations in sera, Sci. Tools, 7, 18–25.Google Scholar
- Imlah, P., 1964. A study of blood groups in pigs. Blood Groups of Animals, Proc. 9 Europ. Anim. Blood Groups Conf., Prague, 1965, 109–122.Google Scholar
- Latner, A. L., 1965. The binding of circulating enzymes by plasma proteins, West-Europ. Symp. on Clin. Chem, Vol.5, 121–127.Google Scholar
- Mc Geachin, R. L. and Lewis, J. P., 1959. Electrophoretic behaviour of serum amylase, J. Biol. Chem., 234, 795–798.Google Scholar
- Poulik, M. D. and Smithies, O., 1958. Comparison and combination of the starch-gel and filter-paper electrophoretic methods applied to human sera: Two-dimensional electrophoresis, Bio-chem. J., 68, 636–643.Google Scholar
- Schröffel, J. and Hojný, J., 1962. β-globulin fractions in pig serum and their heredity (In Czech. Abstract), Cs. fysiologie, 11, 277.Google Scholar