Use of Blood Groups in Pig for Double Mating
By the mating of two boars or the insemination of two boars of the Large White, Black and White-Přeštice, Landrace and Cornwall and Pietrain breeds to a sow of the same breed during one oestrus 149 litters were obtained. Only 69 were mixed litters.
The paternal origin of the litter was determined by means of blood groups. From the resultant mixed litters it was not possible to obtain from any of them two young sows and two young boars by one boar. It was therefore decided to test groups of four in which pairs of animals by each boar were represented. For the factors compared the differences between the single boars and single sows were found to be statistically insignificant.
In accordance with the literature the preference for gametes of one boar to those of the other was shown.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buschmann, H. and Krausslich, H., 1964. Untersuchungen uber die Doppelbefruchtung von Sauen mit anschliessender Überprüfung der Abstannung an Hand des Blutgruppentestes, Züchtungskunde,36, 97–106.Google Scholar
- Hojny, J., 1965. Erytrocytärni antigeny prasat chovanych v CSSR, (Erythrocytic antigens of pigs kept in Czechoslovakia), Thesis, Laboratory of Physiology and Genetics of Animals, Liběchov, 103–120.Google Scholar
- Minkema, D. and Bouw, J., 1961 Bloedgroepen bij varkens, Tijdschr. v. Diergeneeskunde.,86, 227–242.Google Scholar
- Saison, R. and Moxley, J. E., 1966. Polymorphismus biochimiques des animaux, Proc. Xth Europ. Conf. on Animal Blood Groups and Biochemical Polymorphisms, Paris, 171–174.Google Scholar
- Sumption, L.J. and Adams, J.C., 1961. Multiple sire mating in swine. III. Factors influencing multiple paternity, J. Heredit., 52, 214.Google Scholar
- Tikhonov, V.N., Masjukov, I.M. and Sorokina, L.N., 1964. Immunological methods of determining parentage in relation to the investigation of selective fertilization and chimaerism, Sér. biol.-med. nauk.,2, 117–125.Google Scholar