Immunogenetical Studies on Cows of High, and Low Butterfat Production
Using the data available on the production levels of 2105 cows in their first lactation, we selected 109 cows of low and 108 cows of high butterfat production for further study. In the second part of the investigations, out of total number of 453 cows, we selected 98 animals of low and 94 of high butterfat production.
The blood samples taken from all experimental cows were tested for determination of blood groups and of transferrins in the serum. In the cows with high butterfat per cent the B-allele BO3Y2A′ E′3G′P′ was present in high frequency. The allele GY2E′ was more frequent in cows with higher butterfat production whilst in those with low fat yield (in kg and %) the B-allele BO1Y2D′ was more frequent.
The gene M was more frequent in cows of low butterfat production. Also the frequency of the gene determining transferrin D was higher in animals of low butterfat production.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Braend, M., 1963. Estimation of gene frequencies in the B system of cattle, Immunogenetic Letter, 3,2.Google Scholar
- Kraay, G. J., 1964. Aspects of relationships between genetically determined characters in cattle, Proceedings of the 9th European Animal Blood Group Conference, August 18–22,1964, Prague 1965, 87.Google Scholar
- Mitschlich, E., Tolle, A. and Walter, E., 1959. Untersuchungen über das Bestehen von Bezie hungen zwischen Blutgruppen und Milchleistung des Rindes, Z. Tierz. Zucht. Biol., 72, 289.Google Scholar
- Neimann-Sørensen, A., 1959. Bloodgroups and production characters of cattle, Bericht u.d. VI. Int. Blutgr. Congres, München, 25.Google Scholar
- Neimann-Sørensen, A. and Robertson, A., 1961. The association between blood groups and several production characteristics in three Danish cattle breeds. Acta scand. XI, 2,1 63.Google Scholar
- Oosterlee, C. G., 1964. Some aspects of studies on relationship between blood groups and economic characteristics in farm animals, The World’s Poultry Science Association, Sezione Italiana, 1964, 457.Google Scholar
- Rendel, J., 1959. A study on relationships between blood groups and production characters in cattle, Bericht u. d. VI. Int. Blutgr. Congres, München, 8.Google Scholar
- Rendel, J., 1961. Recent studies on relationships between blood groups and production characters in farm animals, Z. Tierz. Zucht. Biol, 75, 2, 97.Google Scholar
- Rendel, J., 1965. Zusammenhänge zwischen Blutgruppen und Produktionseigenschaften, Der Tierzüchter, 17.Google Scholar
- Tolle, A. and Mitscherlich, E., 1959. Grundlagen und Untersuchungsergebnisse von Beziehungen Blutgrappenfaktoren und Fiirsenlaktationen, Bericht u. d. VI. Int. Blutgr. Congres, München, 40.Google Scholar
- White, M. B. and Banfield, J. C., 1967. The distribution of serum tr.atisferrin types in dairy cattle and their relationship to milk and butterfat production, Austr. J. of Exp. Agric. and An. Husb., 7,28,396.Google Scholar