Nowadays a widespread pessimism exists regarding the future of western civilization. This pessimism has been roused or, as the case may be, increased by
the alleged foundational crisis,
the social and political phenomena of our time.
KeywordsWestern Civilization Wave Theory Vicious Circle Slow Development Privileged Position
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Spengler found a supporter in the mathematician C. J. Keyser (Keyser, 1947).Google Scholar
- 2.Francesco Maurolico, Arithmeticorum libri duo, Venetiis 1575. The importance of Maurolico is rated less highly by Freudenthal (1953).Google Scholar
- 3.Blaise Pascal, Traité du triangle arithmétique, Paris 1665.Google Scholar
- 4.A few years ago, Bohm made an attempt to eliminate the principle, but his proposal has met with little approval (Bohm, 1952a, b, 1953).Google Scholar
- 5.In 1947 I read a newspaper article by Geyl confirming me in this attitude. Cf. Gey (1958).Google Scholar
© D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Holland 1968