Reinforcing Mechanism of SiC Whiskers in SiCw / Carbon Ceramic Composites
SiC whiskers/carbon ceramics have been made by hot pressing at 1950 —2100°C under argon atmosphere. The microstructure of SiCw / carbon ceramics has been studied. A unique distribution of SiC whiskers in carbon ceramic matrix has been found. The short SiC whiskers are distributed spread in matrix grains, but long SiC whiskers are distributed at the boundaries. The short SiC whiskers playa strengthening role in the matrix grains as second phase particles and long SiC whiskers play a toughening role in the matrix because whiskers prevent the cracks from propagating. This reinforcing mechanism is identified as the two directional reinforcing mechanism of the SiC whiskers in carbon ceramics.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Miyazaki, H. Yoshida and K. Kobayashi “Carbon” (Japan) No121(1986) pp18–25.Google Scholar
- 2.K. Kashima. “Carbon” (Japan) (1985) No.121 PP73–75.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Miyazaki, H. Yoshida and K. Kobayashi. “Carbon” (Japan) No.120(1985) PP21–27.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Anzai, A. Okura. “Carbon” (Japan) No.135(1988) PP278–285.Google Scholar
- 8.Jie-mo Tian. In “proceedings of 7th CIMEC — World Ceramics Congress & Sattellite Symposia.”Google Scholar