Influence of Processing on Thermal and Elastic Properties in Alumina Silicon Carbide Whisker Composites (+)
Measurements of thermal conductivity k and Young’s modulus E have been performed on a set of different alumina-SiC(w) composites, hot pressed at 1900 °C, obtained by varying hot-pressing time and raw materials. Moreover, the effect of processing on the k and E has been discussed showing the influence of raw material characteristics on thermal conductivity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.P. Hasselman, “Thermal stress resistance parameters for brittle refractory ceramics: a compendium”, Bull. Am. Ceram. Soc. 49, p.1033, (1970)Google Scholar
- G. Grimvall “Thermophysical Properties of Materials”, Selected Topics In Solid State Physics, vol.XVIII p.130, North-Holland (1986)Google Scholar
- D.B. Marshall, J.E. Ritter, “Reliability of advanced structural ceramics and ceramic matrix composites”, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65, 309, (1987).Google Scholar
- E. Scafe’, L. Di Rese, G. Grillo and F. Petrucci, “Young’s modulus of Si-SiC two-phase particulate composites”, 7th CIMTEC, Montecatini, 1990 in Press.Google Scholar
- R.E. Taylor, K.D. Maglic “Pulse Method for Thermal Diffusivity Measurements” Compendium of Thermophysical Property Measurements Methods, Vol.1 305–336 Plenum Press NY.Google Scholar
- Landolt Bornstein, vol 4, Springer-Verlag 1961Google Scholar
- A. Kelly, N.H. MacMillan, “Strong Solids”, Clarendon Press, Oxford (1986).Google Scholar
- E. Scafe’, L. Di Rese, L. Fabbri, G. Dinelli, M. Tiengo “Thermal and Elastic Properties on Alumina Silicon Carbide Whiskers”, to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- J.W. Milewski, F.D. Gac, J.J. Petrovic, S.R. Skaggs “Growth of beta-Silicon Carbide Whiskers by the VLS process” J. Mater. Sci., 20, 1160–1166Google Scholar
- G. Ondracek “The Qualitative Microstructure 7 Field Property Correlation of Multiphase and Porous Materials” Rev. on Powd. Metal. and Phys. Ceram., Vol.3, N°s.3&4, 205–322 (1987)Google Scholar
- L.M. Russel, L.F. Johnson, D.P.H. Hasselman, R. Ruh “Thermal Diffusivity/Conductivity of Silicon Carbide Reinforced Mullite” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 70, C226–C229 (1987)Google Scholar