SiC Dispersoid — Reinforced Si3N4 Composites
A series of composites were prepared by dispersing SiC whiskers and platelets into a Si3N4 matrix, intended for high temperature applications, and fully densified by HIP. The effect of dispersoid additions on the mechanical properties was evaluated and related to interfacial microstructure and fracture surface studies; the latter giving an insight into the toughening mechanisms taking place. Creep resistance and stress rupture data revealed information on the high temperature deformation behaviour of selected compositions and illustrated the importance of the crystallisation behaviour of the intergranular region.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Wei, G.C. and Becher, P.F., Development of SiC-Whisker Reinforced Ceramics, Am. Ceram.Soc. Bull., 64, (2), pp. 298–304, 1985.Google Scholar
- Porter, J.R., Lange, F.F. and Chokshi, A.H., Processing and Creep Performance of SiC Whisker Reinforced Al2O3, Am. Ceram.Soc. Bull., 66, (2), pp.343–347, 1987.Google Scholar
- Shalek, P.D., Petrovic, J.J., Hurley, G.F. and Gac, F.D., Hot Pressed SiC-Whisker/Si3N4 Matrix Composites, Am. Ceram.Soc.Bull., 65, (2), pp.351–356, 1986.Google Scholar
- Lundberg, R., Kahlman, L., Pompe, R. and Carlsson, R., SiC — Whisker Reinforced Si3N4 Composites, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 66, (2), pp.330–333, 1987.Google Scholar
- Baldoni, J.G. and Buljan, S-T., Creep and Crack Growth Resistance of Silicon Nitride Composites, in 3rd Int. Symp. on Ceramic Materials and Components for Engines, Las Vegas, Nov. 27–30, pp.786–795, 1988.Google Scholar
- Sakai, H. and Matsuhiro, K., Mechanical Properties of SiC — Platelet Reinforced Ceramic Composites, in Proc. 2nd Int. Ceramic Science and Technology Congress, Orlando, Nov.12 – 15, 1990, in print.Google Scholar
- Tuersley, J.P., Leng-Ward, G. and Lewis, M.H., Si3N4 based Ceramics for Gas Turbine Applications, in 3rd Int. Symp. on Ceramic Materials and Components for Gas Turbine Applications, Las Vegas, Nov. 27–30, pp.856–870, 1988.Google Scholar
- Ketchion, S.M., Leng-Ward, G. and Lewis, M.H., SiC Dispersoid Reinforced Si3N4 Composites, in Proc. 2nd Int. Ceramic Science and Technology Congress, Orlando, Nov.12–15, 1990, in print.Google Scholar