Phase Relationships of α′, β′-Sialons in the Y,Si,Al/N,O System and Design of Sialon Composite Materials
A brief account of the single α′-Sialon phase region and the α′-Sialon + β′-Sialon (B-Si3N4) region on the α′-Sialon plane in the Y,Si,Al/N,O system is presented based on our previous investigation [1,2]. Two compositions within the β-Si3N4-α′-Sialon compatibility region were designed and fabricated into samples. In general, they do show the additivity characteristics of the better strength and fracture toughness of elongated β-Si3N4 crystals plus the higher hardness of equiaxed α′-Sialon grains. By making intelligent use of the information provided by the phase relationships of the Y,Si,Al/N,O system, promising materials can be tailored along with processing studies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sun, W.Y., Yen, T.S. and Tien, T.Y., Graphical representation of the subsolidus phase relationships in the reciprocal salt system Si,Al, Y/N,O, I: Si3N4-β60-Al2O3-SiO2-Y2O3, to be published in Scientia Sinica.Google Scholar
- 2.Sun, W.Y., Yen, T.S. and Tien, T.Y., Graphical representation of the subsolidus phase relationships in the reciprocal salt system Si,Al, Y/N,O, II: Si3N4-AlN-YN-Al2O3-Y2O3, to be published in Scientia Sinica.Google Scholar
- 3.Slasor, S and Thompson, D.P., Preparation and characterization of Yttrium α’-Sialon, in Proceeding of International Conference: Non-oxide Technical and Engineering Ceramics. ed. S. Hampshire, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1986, pp.223–30.Google Scholar
- 4.Sun, W.Y., Tien, T.Y. and Yen, T.S., Solid solubility limits of single phase region of the α’-Sialon solid solutions and their compatibility relationships in the system Si,Al,Y/N,O, accepted to be published in J. Am. Ceram. Soc.Google Scholar
- 5.Xu, Y.R., Huang, L.P., Fu, X.R. and Yen, T.S., Hot-pressed silicon nitride ceramics with rare-earth oxide additives, Scientia Sinica (Series A), 1985, 28, 556–60.Google Scholar
- 6.Slasor, S. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Newcasrle Upon Tyne, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Cao, G.Z., Huang, Z.K. and Yan, D.S. (Yen, T.S.), Phase relationships in the Si3N4-Y2O3-La2O3 system, Science in China (Series A), 1989, 32, 429–33.Google Scholar
- 9.Sun, W.Y., Tien, T.Y. and Yen, T.S., Subsolids phase relationships in part of the system Si, Al, Y/N, O, II: the system Si3N4-AlN-YN-Al2O3-Y2O3, accepted to be published in J. Am. Ceram. Soc.Google Scholar