Effects of Sodium Sulfate Induced Corrosion on the Static Fatigue Life of Silicon Nitride Containing Different Dopants
Flexure testing was used to determine the effects of sodium sulfateinduced corrosion on the static fatigue life of two silicon nitride ceramics at 1000°C. The results show that the static fatigue life of the MgO-doped silicon nitride is significantly reduced when Na2SO4 is introduced. Conversely, the static fatigue life of the Y2O3 + A1203- doped silicon nitride is increased in the presence of Na2SO4.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Levy, M and Falco, J, Hot Corrosion of Reaction-Bonded Si3N4, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 1978, 57 , pp. 457–458.Google Scholar
- 3.Bourne, W.C and Tressler, R.E, Molten Salt Degradation of Si3N4 Ceramlcs, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 1980, 59 , pp. 443–452.Google Scholar
- 4.Smialek, J.L, Fox, D.S and Jacobson, N.S, Hot Corrosion Attack and Strength Degradation of SiC and Si3N4, prepared for NASA-Lewis Research Center for Environment Degradation of Engineering Materials III, NASA TM-89820, April 13–15, 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.Jacobson, N.S, Smialek, J.L and Fox, D.S, Molten Salt Corrosion of SiC and Si3N4, prepared for NASA-Lewis Research Center, NASA TM-101346, November 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.Davies, G.B, Holmes, T.M and Gregory, O.J, Hot-Corrosion Behavior of Coated Covalent Ceramics, Adv. Ceram. Mat., 1988, 3 , pp. 542–547.Google Scholar
- 8.Swab, J.J and Leatherman, G.L, Static Fatigue Behavior of Structural Ceramics in a Corrosive Environment, prepared for the U.S. Army Materials Technology Laboratory, MTL TR 90-32, June 1990.Google Scholar