The participation of mononucleur phagocytes in immune based inflammatory processes with special reference to their secretory responses
Since the last meeting in this series, considerable new information regarding the functions of mononuclear phagocytes in host defence systems and the expression of chronic inflammation has been gathered25. Consequently, certain concepts regarding the roles played by macrophages in the inflammatory process have been elaborated further. These concern roles for macrophages in (a) the afferent limb of the immune response in relation to antigen processing and presentation to cells of the lymphoid system21; and (b) the effector arm of the immune response where they respond to products of lymphoid cells by secreting a variety of mediators directed towards the resolution of host defence responses. In this brief review we will be concerned predominantly with the role of the macrophage in the effector arm of immune responses.
KeywordsImmune Complex Migration Inhibition Factor Mononuclear Phagocyte Macrophage Cell Line Chronic Inflammatory Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cohen, S., Pick, E. and Oppenheim, J. J. (1979). Biology of Lymphokines. (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- 4.David, J. R. and Remold, H. G. (1979). The activation of macrophages by lymphokines. In Cohen, S., Pick, E. and Oppenheim, J. J. (eds.) Biology of Lymphokines p. 121. (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- 5.Davies, P. and Bonney, R. J. (1980). The secretion of hydrolytic enzymes by mononuclear phagocytes. In Weissmann, G. (ed.) Handbook of Inflammation Vol. 2, p. 497 New York, North Holland ElsevierGoogle Scholar
- 12.McCarthy, K. and Henson, P. M. (1979). Induction of lysosomal enzyme secretion by alveolar macrophages in response to the purified complement fragments C5a and C5ades-arg.Google Scholar
- 21.Unanue, E.R. and Rosenthal, A. S. (1980). Macrophage Regulation of Immunity. New York: Academic Press,Google Scholar
- 25.Van Furth, R. (ed.) (1980). Proceedings of the Third Leiden Conference on Mononuclear Phagocytes. (The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff BV)Google Scholar