Gastrointestinal Motility Stimulating Properties of Cisapride, a Non-Antidopaminergic Non-Cholinergic Compound
Cisapride, a novel gastrokinetic compound, effectively improves electrically evoked contractions of the guinea pig ileum (ED50 9.2 x 10-9 M) most likely via facilitation of the release of acetylcholine. It also enhances spontaneous contractions of the stomach and induces contractions of colonic strips of the guinea pig. Furthermore, cisapride antagonizes gastric relaxations as induced by adrenergic, dopaminergic and serotonergic agonists or by sympathetic nerve stimulation. The enhanced contractions and reduced relaxations suggest a role for cisapride in gastrointestinal motor disorders.
KeywordsElectrical Stimulation Contractile Response Gastrointestinal Motility Duodenogastric Reflux Sympathetic Nerve Stimulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schuurkes, J.A.J. and Van Nueten, J.M. (1982). Domperidone improves myogenically transmitted antroduodenal coordination by blocking dopaminergic receptor sites. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. (in press) (suppl. Seminar: “New Developments in Gut Motility”, Belgium, March 1983)Google Scholar
- 5.Van Nueten, J.M., Janssen, P.A.J. and Fontaine, J. (1974). Loperamide (R 18 553), a novel type of antidiarrheal agent. III. In vitro studies on the peristaltic reflex and other experiments on isolated tissues. Arzneim. Forsch., 24, 1641–5Google Scholar
- 8.Van Nueten, J.M. and Schuurkes, J.A.J. (1983). Studies on the role of dopamine and dopamine blockers in gastroduodenal motility. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. (in press) (suppl. Seminar: “New Developments in Gut Motility”, Belgium, March 1983)Google Scholar
- 9.Finney, D.J. (1962). Probit analysis. ( Cambridge University Press, Cambridge )Google Scholar
- 10.Schuurkes, J.A.J. and Van Nueten, J.M. (1983). Control of gastroduodenal coordination: dopaminergic and cholinergic pathways. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. (in press) (suppl. 2nd Int. Symp. on Duodenogastric Reflux, Swiss, June 1983)Google Scholar
- 11.Schuurkes, J.A.J. and Van Nueten, J.M. (1982). Gastric relaxation induced by pers-arterial (sympathetic ?) electrical stimulation in vitro. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. (in press) (suppl. 1st Int. Symp. on Sympathetic Influence on Gastric Function, Denmark, March 1983)Google Scholar
- 12.Schuurkes, J.A.J., Akkermans, L.M.A. and Van Nueten, J.M. (1983). Stimulating effects of cisapride on antroduodenal motility in the conscious dog. This book, Chapter, pp.Google Scholar