Stomach Motility Modulates Bile Flow in the Pig
The secretory function of the upper digestive tract has been related to the phases of the migrating myoelectric complex (MMC): in man the pancreatic secretion of lipase and biliary secretion of bilirubin was greatest during duodenal regular spiking activity (RSA)(1); in the dog the amount of alkali secreted into the upper intestine progressively increased during irregular spiking activity (ISA) to a maximum rate just before the RSA in the duodenum (2) and the pH in the duodenum reached its maximum value after the passage of the RSA through the duodenum (3). However, it has been suggested that in the pig the pH changes in the duodenum can be accounted for by the variations in flow of acid digesta from the stomach with the phase of the MMC while the rate of digestive secretion remains constant; there is no need — at least as far as pH is concerned — to postulate a secretory correlate of the MMC (4). In this paper we correlate the pattern of bile flow as shown by X-ray screening with the pattern of myoelectric activity and pH changes in the duodenum of the pig.
KeywordsCommon Bile Duct Gall Bladder Gastrointestinal Motility Bile Flow Duodenal Bulb
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lux, G., Femppel, J., Lederer, P., Rösch, W. and Domschke, W. (1979). Increased duodenal alkali load associated with the interdigestive myoelectric complex. Acta Hepato-Gastroenterol., 26, 166–9.Google Scholar
- 4.Bueno, L. and Fioramonti, J. (1982). Origin of the cyclical variations of the duodenal pH in pig. In: Weinbeck, M. (ed). Motility of the digestive tract pp 169–73. ( New York: Raven Press )Google Scholar
- 5.Ryan, J. P. (1981). Motility of the gallbladder and biliary tree. In: Johnson, L. R. (ed). Physiology of the gastrointestinal tract. Vol. 1, pp 473–94. ( New York: Raven Press )Google Scholar
- 7.Laplace, J. P. (1976). L’excretion biliare chez le proc 1) Electromyographie des voies biliaires extra-hepatiques. Rec. Med. Vet., 152, 33–43Google Scholar
- 8.Itoh, Z., Takahashi, I. and Suzuki, T. (1982). Contractile patterns of the gallbladder between meals in the dog. In: Weinbeck, M. (ed). Motility of the digestive tract. pp 405–13. ( New York: Raven Press )Google Scholar