Biochemical mechanisms of resistance to antimicrobial drugs
conversion of the active drug to an inactive derivative by enzyme(s) synthesized by the resistant cells;
- 2.loss of sensitivity of the drug target site as a result of:
covalent modification by enzyme activity in the resistant cells,
mutation(s) affecting the target, or
acquisition of genetic information encoding either a drug-resistant form of the target enzyme or overproduction of the drug-sensitive enzyme.
Removal of the drug from the cellular interior by drug efflux systems located in the cell envelope.
KeywordsClavulanic Acid Drug Efflux Efflux System Acetyl Coenzyme Ribosomal Protection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bennett, P M. and Chopra, 1. (1993). Molecular basis of ß-lactamase induction in bacteria. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 37, 153.Google Scholar
- Bush, K., Jacoby, G. A. and Medeiros, A. A. (1995). A functional classification scheme for ß-lactamases and its correlation with molecular structure. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 39, 1211.Google Scholar
- Chopra, I. et al. (1997). The search for antimicrobial agents effective against bacteria resistant to multiple antibiotics. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 41, 497.Google Scholar
- Huovinen, P. et al. (1995). Trimethoprim and sulfonamide resistance. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 39, 279.Google Scholar
- Livermore, D. M. (1995). Bacterial resistance to car- bapenems. In Antimicrobial Resistance: A Crisis in Health Care (eds D. J. Jungkind et al.), Plenum Press, New York, p.35.Google Scholar
- Murray, I. A. and Shaw, W V (1997). O-acetyl transferases for chloramphenicol and other natural products. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 41,1.Google Scholar
- Paulsen, I. T, Brown, M. H. and Skurray, R. A. (1996). Proton-dependent multidrug efflux systems. Microbiol. Rev. 60, 575.Google Scholar
- Sanglard, D. et al. (1995). Mechanisms of resistance to azole antifungal agents in Candida albicans isolates from AIDS patients involve specific multidrug transporters. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 39, 2378.Google Scholar
- Shaw, K. J. et al. (1993). Molecular genetics of aminoglycoside resistance genes and familial relationships of aminoglycoside-modifying enzymes. Microbiol. Rev. 57, 138.Google Scholar
- Thanassi, D. G., Suh, G. S. B. and Nikaido, H. (1995). Role of outer membrane in efflux-mediated tetracycline resistance of Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 177, 998.Google Scholar
- Weisblum, B. V (1995). Erythromycin resistance by ribo- some modification. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 39, 577.Google Scholar