Measurement of Circular Dichroism in the Vacuum Ultraviolet. A New Challenge for Theoreticians
Measurements of vacuum ultraviolet circular dichroism (VUCD) 1have been made only in recent years. Several prototype instruments have been described2–20 and reviews have begun to appear in the literature. 20–22 The new results reported here are described from the point of view of illustrating how these and similar data may influence the development of the theories of optical activity and conformational analysis.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The following abbreviations are used: CD(circular dichroism), VUCD (vacuum ultraviolet circular dichroism), HFIP (hexafluoroisopropanol), TFE (trifluoroethanol), BOC (tert-butyloxycarbonyl), OMe (methoxy), Ala (alanine), Cha (cyclohexylalanine), Leu (leucine), Nva (norvaline), Val (valine).Google Scholar
- 6.H. J. Li, I. Isenberg, and W. C. Johnson, Jr., Biochemistry, 10, 2587 (1971).Google Scholar
- 9.P. A. Snyder, P. M. Vipond, and W. C. Johnson, Jr., Biopolymers, 12, 975 (1973).Google Scholar
- 18.M. M. Kelly, E. S. Pysh, G. M. Bonora, and C. Toniolo, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 99, xxxx (1977).Google Scholar
- 21.E. S. Pysh, Adv. Enzymology, in press.Google Scholar
- 22.W. C. Johnson, Jr., Adv. Phys. Chem., in preparation.Google Scholar
- 23.J. C. Kemp, J. Opt. Soc., Am., 59, 950 (1969).Google Scholar
- 24.T. H. Morton, L. A. Buffington, and E. S. Pysh, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 27.I. Listowsky, G. Avigad, and S. Englard, J. Org. Chem., 35, 1080 (1970); Trans. N. Y. Acad. Sci., 34, 218 (1972).Google Scholar
- 28.E. Peggion, M. Palumbo, G. M. Bonora, C. Toniolo, and E. S. Pysh, Proc. Fifth Amer. Peptide Symposium, San Diego, 1977.Google Scholar
- 30.J. Liang, E. R. Morris, and E. S. Pysh, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 31.L. A. Buffington, E. R. Morris, and E. S. Pysh, in preparation.Google Scholar