Electron-Electron Interactions and Resonant Optical Spectral Shifts in Photoreceptor Molecules
The purpose of this paper is to discuss the optical excitation spectrum and electron-electron interactions in a Rhodopsin-like molecule. The task of the theory here is to provide some initial insight into the microscopic behaviour of these photoreceptor molecules and must, considering the complexity of the system involved, be semiempirical and somewhat speculative. Such a preliminary approach is usually required in understanding physical systems. A full microscopic theory of a phenomenon rarely comes out of the blue, but is almost always preceded by a period of interplay between approximate and semiempirical theory and experiment. It is in such a spirit that this paper is presented. This work has benefited from and is related to the work of W.A. Little (1, 2, 3) on the possible occurrence of a superconducting state in macromolecules. Little’s theory (1, 2, 3) suggested that certain special types of macromolecules and solids should exhibit superconductivity at room temperature. Unfortunately, as far as can be checked, no one has ever synthesised a structure which has seriously tested the predictions of the theory. Little’s proposal, then, is neither substantiated nor is it discredited.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Little W.A., J. Poly. Sci. C29, 17, (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.“The Helium Liquids”. NATO Advanced Study Institute. Eds. Armitage J.G.M., Farquhar I.E. Academic Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- 7.“Collective Excitations in Nuclei”. (Documents on Modern Physics). S.T. Beylaev, Gordon and Breach, (1968).Google Scholar
- 9.For a review with references to earlier work see Frohlich H., Adv. in Physics 3, 325 (1954). See also “Statistical Mechanics”. R.P. Feynmann, W.A. Benjamin, Inc. (1972).Google Scholar
- 10.Ziman J.M., “Elements of Advanced Quantum Theory”. Cambridge University Press, (1969).Google Scholar
- 11.Kampas F.J., J. Poly. Sci. 29C, 81, (1970).Google Scholar
- 12.W.A. Little cited in reference 11.Google Scholar
- 16.Dunne L.J., Clark A.D., Physics Letters, 60A, (1977).Google Scholar