Studying respiration in the severely ill
This chapter draws attention to the differences between studying lung function in patients who are fit enough to come to the laboratory and those who are too ill to do so and must be studied in bed. It shows that it is often still practical to obtain useable measurements of respired flows, accessible and total thoracic gas volumes, carbon monoxide transfer and local or total effective blood flow, and draws attention to an optical method of studying the motion of the chest wall, which may be useful in such circumstances.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bergofsky EH: Respiratory failure in disorders of the thoracic cage. Am Rev Respir Dif 119: 643–669, 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.Denison DM, Waller JF: Stadies of regional lung function by mass spectrometry. Prog Respir Res 16: 232–240, 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Denison DM, Waller JF: Interpreting the results of regional single-breath studies from the patients point of view. Bull Physio-pathol Respir (in press 1982).Google Scholar
- 10.Kovats F: Plethysmographie optique du tronc-etude du cycle ventilatoire maximal. Bull - Physio-pathol Respir 6: 833, 1970.Google Scholar
- 12.Mezon BL, West P, Israels J, Kryger M: Sleep breathing abnormalities in kyphoscoliosis. Am Rev Respir Dis 122:617– 621, 1980.Google Scholar
- 18.Piiper J, Scheid P: Blood-gas equilibrium in lungs. In: West JM (ed). Pulmonary gas exchange. New York: Academic Press, 1980, p 131.Google Scholar
- 19.Remmers JE, De Groot WJ, Sauerland EK, Anch AM: Pathogenesis of upper airway occlusion during sleep. J Appl Physiol (Respir Environ Exerc Physiol) 44: 931–938, 1978.Google Scholar
- 21.Rosenow EC: The spectrum of drug-induced pulmonary disease. Ann Intern Med 77: 971–991, 1972.Google Scholar
- 22.Tabachnik E, Muller N L, Bryan AC, Leviso n H: Changes in ventilation and chest wall mechanics during sleep in normal adolescents. J Appl Physiol (Respir Environ Exerc Physiol) 51:557– 564, 1981.Google Scholar
- 23.Tusiewicz K, Moldofsky H, Bryan AC, Bryan MH: Mechanics of the rib cage and diaphragm during sleep. J Appl Rhysiol (Respir Environ Exerc Physiol) 43: 600–602, 1977.Google Scholar
- 25.Williams AR: Contour mapping by light-sectioning. Br J Photogr 124: 265, 1977.Google Scholar
- 27.Whittle MW: Caloric and exercise requirements of space flight: bio stereometric results from Skylab. J Aviat Space Environ Med 50: 163, 1979.Google Scholar