ICI 170809, A selective 5-hydroxytryptamine antagonist, inhibits human platelet aggregation in vitro and ex vivo
In vitro 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) cause both a shape and aggregation of human platelets. Few studies have been reported on 5-HT-induced platelet aggregation in patients with peripheral or cerebrovascular disease, although these patients have been reported to have enhanced platelet activity [1–6] and show hyperaggregability in response to known aggregating agents [7–9].
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Schwartz MB, Hangier J, Timmons S, Freisinger GC (1980): Platelet aggregates in ischaemic heart disease. Thromb Haemostasis 434: 185–188.Google Scholar
- 4.Baele G, Bogaerts H, Clements DL, Pannier peripheral arterial disease. Thromb Res 23: 215–223.Google Scholar
- 8.Dreyfuss F. Zahavi J (1973): adenosine diphospate-induced platelet aggregation in myocardial infarction and ischaemic heart disease. Atherosclerosis 17: 107–120.Google Scholar
- 10.Blackburn TP, Thornber CW, Pearce RJ, Cox B, (1988): In vitro pharmacology of ICI 170,809 — A new 5-HT2antagonist. FASEB journal 2 (5):A1404,6441.Google Scholar
- 12.Nevelsteen A, Loots W, De Clerk F, De Gryse A (1984): Restoration of post-thrombotic peripheral collateral circulation in the cat by ketanserin, a selective 5-HT2receptor antagonist. Archs int Pharmacodyn Ther 270: 260–279.Google Scholar
- 13.Blackshear JL, Orlandi S, Garnic JD, Hollenberg NK (1983): Serotonin induces large artery spasm in vivo via 5-HT2 receptors. Circulation 68:III-197, Abs. 798.Google Scholar
- 14.Verheyen V, Vlaminckx E, Lauwers F, Van Den Broeck C, Wouters L (1984): Serotonin-induced blood flw changes in the rat hind legs after unilateral ligation of the femoral artery. Inhibition by the S2-receptor antagonist ketanserin. Pharmacodyn Ther 270: 280–294.Google Scholar