Integration of Geographic Information Systems for Monitoring and Dissemination of Marine Environment Data
The issue of monitoring, analysis and visualization of marine activity, either for the purpose of environment protection or threat sensing, has been the subject of intensive research for many years. In the last decades, presented solutions have shown the advantages of dedicated software for storing and management of acoustic and spatial data (Stepnowski et al., 1996; Trygonis et al., 2009; Thakur et al., 2011) as well as the potential of web mapping in application to environmental modelling (Maceachren and Kraak, 1997; Doyle et al., 1998; Goodall et al., 2011). In more recent years, many commercial and scientific institutions have been continuously contributing to the process of development and application of various tools for aquatic sensing. Because of this, the variety of marine sensors is very wide, ranging from simple techniques such as direct sampling or hydrological measurements using CTD probes, through hydroacoustic surveys, air-borne photographs and satellite imaging to numerical modelling and simulation.
KeywordsAdvance Very High Resolution Radiometer Advance Very High Resolution Radiometer Geographic Information System Automatic Identification System Open Geospatial Consortium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chybicki, A., Kulawiak, M., Lubniewski, Z., Luba, M., Moszynski, M. and Dabrowski, J. (2008). GIS for Remote Sensing, Analysis and Visualization of Marine Pollution and Other Marine Ecosystem Components. Proceedings of 2008 1st International Conference on Information Technology, 223-226.Google Scholar
- Hamre T, Krasemann H, Groom S, Dunne D, Breitbach G, Hackett B, S0rensen, K. and Sandven, S. (2009) Interoperable web GIS services for marine pollution monitoring and forecasting. Journal of Coastal Conservation 13(1), 1–13 Google Scholar
- Kulawiak M, Luba M, Stepnowski A, Prospathopoulos A, Kioroglou S, Perivoliotis L, Grammatikaki M (2008) Integrating a Web-based GIS to a marine pollution monitoring and forecasting system. Proceedings of the International Conference on Marine Data and Information Systems, Athens (Greece)Google Scholar
- Kulawiak, M., Chybicki, A. and Moszynski, M. (2010a). Web-based GIS as a tool for supporting marine research. Marine Geodesy, 33(2 and 3),135-153.Google Scholar
- Pollani A, Triantafyllou G, Petihakis G, Nittis K, Dounas K, Koutitas C (2001) The POSEIDON Operational Tool for the Prediction of Floating Pollutant Transport. Marine Pollution Bulletin 43(7–12), 270–278Google Scholar
- Schmidt, C. (2008). OpenLayers: Free Maps for the Web. Retrieved October 22, 2009, from http://www.openlayers.org
- Thakur JK, Srivastava PK, Singh SK, Vekerdy Z (2011) Ecological monitoring of wetlands in semi-arid region of Konya closed basin. Turkey Regional Environmental Change. doi:10.1007/s10113-011-0241-xGoogle Scholar