Modeling Blast and High-Velocity Impact of Composite Sandwich Panels
Analytical models for predicting the deformation and failure of composite sandwich panels subjected to blast and projectile impact loading are presented in this paper. The analytical predictions of the transient deformations and damage initiation in the composite sandwich panels were compared with finite element solutions using ABAQUS Explicit. For the blast model, the predicted transient deformation of the sandwich panel was within 7%of FEA results, while the predicted damage initiation using Hashin's composite failure criteria was about 15%higher than FEA results in most cases. For the high velocity impact model, the predicted transient deformations were within 20%of FEA results.
KeywordsStress Wave Transverse Shear Elastic Strain Energy Sandwich Panel Foam Core
This work was supported by Dr. Yapa Rajapakse at the Office of Naval Research under grant N00014-07-1-0423.
- 1.Hampson PR, Moayamedi M (2007) A review of composite structures subjected to dynamic loading. Int J Crashworthiness 12:411–428.Google Scholar
- 2.Cole RH (1984) Underwater explosions. Princeton University Press, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- 3.Smith PD and Hetherington JG (1994) Blast and ballistic loading of structures. Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford.Google Scholar
- 7.Graff KF (1975) Wave motion in elastic solids. Oxford University Press, London.Google Scholar
- 8.Gibson LJ, Ashby MF (1999) Cellular solids structures and properties. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- 9.Ashby MF, Evans AG, Fleck NA, Gibson LJ, Hutchinson JW, Wadley HNG (2000) Metal foams:a design guide. Butterworth Heinemann, London.Google Scholar
- 10.Vinson JR (1999) The behavior of sandwich structures of isotropic and composite materials. Technomic Publishing Company, Lancaster.Google Scholar
- 12.Rizov V, Mladensky A (2007) Influence of the foam core material on the indentation behaviour of sandwich composite panels. Cellular Polymers 26:117–131.Google Scholar
- 14.Sierakowski RL, Chaturvedi SK (1997) Dynamic loading and characterization of fiber-reinforced composites. John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar