Localised Effects in Sandwich Structures with Internal Core Junctions:Modelling and Experimental Characterisation of Load Response, Failure and Fatigue
The objective is to provide an overview of the mechanisms which determine the occurrence and severity of localized bending effects in sandwich structures. It is known from analytical and numerical modelling that local effects lead to an increase of the face bending stresses as well as the core shear and transverse normal stresses. The modelling and experimental characterisation of local effects in sandwich structures will be addressed based on the simple and generic case of sandwich structures with internal core junctions under general shear, bending and in-plane loading conditions. The issue of failure and fatigue phenomena induced by the presence of core junctions will be discussed in detail, with the inclusion of recent theoretical and experimental results.
KeywordsFailure Load Face Sheet Failure Behaviour Sandwich Beam Foam Core
The work presented was supported by:
The Innovation Consortium “Integrated Design and Processing of Lightweight Composite and Sandwich Structures”(abbreviated “KOMPOSAND”) funded by the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation and the industrial partners Composhield A.
S, DIAB ApS (DIAB Group), Fiberline Composites A/S, LM Glasfiber A/S and Vestas Wind Systems A/S.
US Navy, Office of Naval Research (ONR), Grant/Award No. N000140710227:“Influence of Local Effects in Sandwich Structures under General Loading Conditions &Ballistic Impact on Advanced Composite and Sandwich Structures”. The ONR program manager was Dr. Yapa Rajapakse.
The support received is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Zenkert D (1997) An introduction to sandwich constructions, EMAS, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 7.Johannes M, Jakobsen J, Thomsen OT, Bozhevolnaya E (2008) Examination of the failure of sandwich beams with core junctions subjected to in-plane loading. Compos Sci Technol. Available online (doi:10.1016/j.compscitech.2008.09.012)Google Scholar
- 8.Johannes M, Thomsen OT (2009) Examination of the failure of sandwich beams with core junctions subjected to transverse shear loading. J Sand Struct Mater. First published on June 24 (doi:10.1177/1099636209105379)Google Scholar
- 9.Allen HG (1968) Analysis and design of structural sandwich panels, Pergamon, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 13.ECCS—European Cooperation for Space Standardization (2004) Space Engineering Insert Design Handbook ECSS-E-30-06Google Scholar
- 21.DIAB AB (2003) Sweden, Divinycell®Technical Manual H-gradeGoogle Scholar
- 23.Röhm GmbH &Co. KG, Data CD - ROHACELL®(2006)Google Scholar
- 26.Matweb Online Materials Information Resource, www.matweb.com [viewed 15/01/2008]Google Scholar