Vertebral Body Perforation (Percutaneous Transpedicular Vertebral Body Perforation)
Percutaneous transpedicular vertebral body perforation (hereinafter vertebral body perforation [Ogihara, Pain Clinic 29:105–112, 2008; Ogihara et al., J Minim Invasive Orthop Surg 64:29–36, 2012]), also referred to as vertebral body decompression as reported by , is performed to treat pain caused by osteoporotic vertebral fractures of the thoracolumbar spine and other associated symptoms. This procedure can be performed safely and easily and is expected as a therapeutic method that will provide dramatic pain relief immediately after the surgery (Ogihara and Akamine, J Musculoskelet Pain Res 5: 149–155, 2013); however, the mechanism underlying the pain relief provided by this procedure remains unknown.
The method of vertebral body perforation under bidirectional fluoroscopy-guided method and local anesthesia is described.
KeywordsOsteoporotic vertebral body fracture Percutaneous transpedicular Vertebral body perforation Vertebral body decompression
- 1.Grant JCB. An Atlas of anatomy. Tokyo: Igaku Shoin Ltd; 1972. p. 357–90. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 2.Netter FH. Atlas of human anatomy. 3rd ed. Netter atlas of human anatomy 3rd ed, translated by Sadakazu Aiso. Tokyo: Nankodo; 2004. p. 146–78. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 3.Ito K, Iizuka Y, Musha Y, et al. Vascular anatomy of the spine and spinal cord. Spine and Spinal Cord. 2013;26:359–65. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 4.Mori O, Mori T. Osteology and study of ligament (Mori O, Hirasawa K, Ogawa T, et al. Anatomy 1). Tokyo: Kanehara & Co., Ltd.; 1972. p. 27–43. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 5.Ogihara M. Vertebral body fracture pain. Pain Science and Practice 7. In: Omote K, editor. Interventional treatment for pain. Tokyo: Bunkodo Co., Ltd.; 2014. p. 189–91. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 6.Ogihara M. Vertebral body decompression (Transpedicular vertebral body perforation). Pain Clinic. 2008;29:105–12. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 7.Ogihara M, Akamine T, Wakayama H, et al. Clinical results of percutaneous vertebral body perforation for osteoporotic vertebral fracture. J Minim Invasive Orthop Surg. 2012;64:29–36. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 8.Ogihara M, Akamine T. Experience of transpedicular vertebral body perforation for osteoporotic vertebral fracture pain. Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain Research. 2013;5:149–55. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 9.Kohashi Y, Matsuura K, Ishitani E, et al. Experience of vertebral body decompression for thoracolumbar spine compression fracture by osteoporosis. Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology. 2006;49:833–9. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 10.Yuda Y. Vertebral body decompression (transvertebral approach). Pain Clinic. 2006;27(Suppl):S628–40. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 11.Ogihara M, Tamura M, Fujisawa M, et al. Complications associated with intra-articular injection method, intra-intervertebral disk treatment, and bone marrow decompression (bone perforation). Pain Clinic. 2014;35:1625–36. (in Japanese).Google Scholar