TAVI: A European Perspective
In 2002 the first transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) was performed in Europe. Since this time, TAVI has become increasingly utilised both across Europe and worldwide. With the early trials now reporting encouraging mid- to late-term results, TAVI has become a cost-effective alternative in high-risk patients not amenable to open surgery. Indeed, these indications look likely to become further expanded into a wider range of patient groups as we gain further technical familiarity alongside the development of novel generations of valve and advances in transcatheter technology. This chapter discusses the evolution of TAVI in Europe, summarising the route leading up to its incorporation into routine clinical practice and the potential for future development.
KeywordsBalloon valvotomy TAVI Transfemoral Transapical Cost-effectiveness Valve-in-valve
- 4.Cribier A, Eltchaninoff H, Tron C, Bauer F, Agatiello C, Sebagh L, et al. Early experience with percutaneous transcatheter implantation of heart valve prosthesis for the treatment of end-stage inoperable patients with calcific aortic stenosis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;43:698–703.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Edwards_Lifesciences. Edwards Lifesciences to Acquire Percutaneous Valve Technologies, Inc. for $125 Million. http://www.edwards.com/newsroom/Pages/nr20031215.aspx.
- 10.Joint Task Force on the Management of Valvular Heart Disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC); European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS), Vahanian A, Alfieri O, Andreotti F, Antunes MJ, Baron-Esquivias G, et al. Guidelines on the management of valvular heart disease (version 2012). Eur Heart J. 2012;33:2451–96.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.NICE. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation for aortic stenosis. NICE interventional procedure guideline [IPG421]; 2012. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg421.
- 14.Schymik G, Lefevre T, Bartorelli AL, Rubino P, Treede H, Walther T, et al. European experience with the second-generation edwards SAPIEN XT transcatheter heart valve in patients with severe aortic stenosis: 1-year outcomes from the SOURCE XT registry. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;8:657–69.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ludman PF, Moat N, de Belder MA, Blackman DJ, Duncan A, Banya W, et al. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation in the United Kingdom: temporal trends, predictors of outcome, and 6-year follow-up: a report from the UK Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) Registry, 2007 to 2012. Circulation. 2015;131:1181–90.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.NICE. Transcatheter valve-in-valve implantation for aortic bioprosthetic valve dysfunction. NICE interventional procedure guideline [IPG504]; 2014. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg504/chapter/1-recommendations.
- 24.Piazza N, Kalesan B, van Mieghem N, Head S, Wenaweser P, Carrel TP, et al. A 3-center comparison of 1-year mortality outcomes between transcatheter aortic valve implantation and surgical aortic valve replacement on the basis of propensity score matching among intermediate-risk surgical patients. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013;6:443–51.CrossRefGoogle Scholar