All-Inside Endoscopic Broström-Gould Procedure for Chronic Ankle Instability
Arthroscopic repair of the ATFL with or without augmentation is one of the most popular surgical procedures for chronic ankle instability. Arthroscopic techniques of ATFL repair and augmentation (Broström-Gould procedures) were recently described. The advantages of an arthroscopic procedure are not only the assessment and treatment of associated lesions but also the complete ligament assessment and all-inside technique for ATFL repair. The main difficulty is to have criteria to decide whether ATFL is still present to perform a repair or if it is too weak or absent and needs a reconstruction. In this field, arthroscopy remains the best tool to have a complete and objective assessment of ATFL. Arthroscopic technique of ATFL repair with and without augmentation is described to provide guidelines for a reliable and efficient technique.
KeywordsChronic ankle instability Ankle ligament repair Broström Gould Arthroscopy
- 6.Takao M, Ochi M, Uchio Y, Naito K, Kono T, Oae K. Osteochondral lesions of the talar dome associated with trauma. Arthroscopy. 2003;19:1060–6.Google Scholar
- 19.Guillo S, Bauer T, Lee JW, Takao M, Kong SW, Stone JW, Mangone PG, Molloy A, Perera A, Pearce CJ, Michels F, Tourné Y, Ghorbani A, Calder J. Consensus in chronic ankle instability: aetiology, assessment, surgical indications and place for arthroscopy. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2013;99(8 Suppl):S411–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2013.10.009.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Araoye I, De Cesar Netto C, Cone B, Hudson P, Sahranavard B, Shah A. Results of lateral ankle ligament repair surgery in one hundred and nineteen patients: do surgical method and arthroscopy timing matter? Int Orthop. 2017;41(11):2289–95. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-017-3617-9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Lopes R, Andrieu M, Cordier G, Molinier F, Benoist J, Colin F, Thès A, Elkaïm M, Boniface O, Guillo S, Bauer T, French Arthroscopy Society. Arthroscopic treatment of chronic ankle instability: prospective study of outcomes in 286 patients. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2018;104(8S):S199–205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2018.09.005.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Vega J, Allmendinger J, Malagelada F, Guelfi M, Dalmau-Pastor M. Combined arthroscopic all-inside repair of lateral and medial ankle ligaments is an effective treatment for rotational ankle instability. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-017-4736-y.
- 29.Takao M, Matsui K, Stone JW, Glazebrook MA, Kennedy JG, Guillo S, Calder JD, Karlsson J, Ankle Instability Group. Arthroscopic anterior talofibular ligament repair for lateral instability of the ankle. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016;24(4):1003–6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-015-3638-0.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Cottom JM, Baker J, Plemmons BS. Analysis of two different arthroscopic Broström repair constructs for treatment of chronic lateral ankle instability in 110 patients: a retrospective cohort study. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2018;57(1):31–7. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jfas.2017.05.045.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar