A clinical diagnosis of COPD should be considered in patients over the age of 40 who present with dyspnea, chronic cough or sputum production, and a history exposure to risk factors for the disease. Spirometry is fundamental to making a diagnosis of COPD, and the presence of a post-bronchodilator FEV1/FVC < 0.70 confirms the presence of persistent airflow limitation. COPD assessment is to determine the severity of disease, including the severity of airflow limitation, the impact on the patient’s health status, and the future risk. COPD assessment is important for therapy and prognosis. COPD often coexists with comorbidities that may have significant impact on mortality and prognosis. At the initial assessment and follow-up visits should include a discussion of symptoms, particularly any new or worsening symptoms and physical examination.
- 4.Yoo KH, Kim YS, Sheen SS, Park JH, Hwang YI, Kim SH, Yoon HI, Lim SC, Park JY, Park SJ, Seo KH, Kim KU, Oh YM, Lee NY, Kim JS, Oh KW, Kim YT, Park IW, Lee SD, Kim SK, Kim YK, Han SK. Prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Korea: the fourth Korean National Health and nutrition examination survey, 2008. Respirology. 2011;16(4):659–65.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and Prevent of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, updated 2015. http://www.goldcopd.org.
- 17.Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and Prevent of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, revised 2011. http://www.goldcopd.org.
- 18.Korean Academy of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases. COPD guideline revised 2014. http://www.lungkorea.org/thesis/guide.php.
- 19.Miravitlles M, Soler-Cataluña JJ, Calle M, Molina J, Almagro P, Quintano JA, Riesco JA, Trigueros JA, Piñera P, Simón A, Rodríguez-Hermosa JL, Marco E, López D, Coll R, Coll-Fernández R, Lobo MÁ, Díez J, Soriano JB, Ancochea J. Spanish guideline for COPD (GesEPOC). Arch Bronconeumol. 2014;50(Suppl 1):1–16. doi: 10.1016/S0300-2896(14)70070-5.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar